My daughter is 13 and will be going into High School in August. When should I let her shave her legs and wear makeup?

she has been wanting to shave her legs for a couple of months now because she says her friends are always saying something about her legs in gym. She has really fine hair and you can barely tell it is there. She also wants to wear makeup. I just dont know what to do, it is hard seeing your baby grow up!

PRCHULA75

Asked by PRCHULA75 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• This was always my mom's rule, and I will probably pass it on to my daughters:
    We could not shave until we started our periods--technically speaking after we started our periods, we were "women"--as with puberty, more hair starts growing. My mother made ONE exception to this for me. I was in 6th grade (I ended up starting my period a few months later anyway), but you could definitely tell I was going through puberty. She used the Nair on my armpits, as I was wearing a spaghetti strap dress, and the hair was probably long enough to be braided. Kids can be very cruel--that is all I will say.
    As for the make-up: Beginning when I was 12, I was allowed to wear a little makeup. Some clear lip gloss, or something like that. I was allowed to add more as I got older (by the time I was 13, I had managed to wear it all). Eventually, I just got tired of putting it on--it wears you out. But I think 12 was a good age for colorless things.GL
    CatherineLZ

Answer by CatherineLZ at 6:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You should let her shave her legs. Kids can be mean and you don't want her getting teased. I would hold off on makeup though.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think it is time to let her do these things. Shaving is no big deal at 13 and I think the makeup should be reasonable and light colors but if she is going into high school she is old enough in my opinion.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I started shaving at 10 and when I was in middle school the girls in my PE class were pretty rude to this girl for not shaving ubove the knee they almost made her cry, I think if shes ready start shaving, as far as the make up goes I think you should discuss boundries like she can were eye shadow ect, as long as she doen't paint her self up like a clown, I remember seeing some girls walk around with different foundation and eye liner everyware but the eyeLOL
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The shaving is no big deal, I don't think.....I started shaving around that age....12/13....around puberty. And I would say you wouldn't want her to have to deal with being teased and made fun of over something like shaving. I also would say to hold off on the makeup though.
    Anonymous

• i think high school is a good time to be shaving bc she will get teased all the time. and the makeup i think would be ok as long as its not too much. thats when i started wearing makeup. :)
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• definitely let her shave her legs, or she's going to have a rough time wearing shorts or dresses. (kids are so mean!) as for make up- maybe you can go to the store with her and let her pick out some subtle blush, eye shadow and lip gloss. (if you feel comforteble with that) she'll be happy, but she won't look over done.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 3:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i started shaving when i was in 5th grade at 9 or 10 and I also had dark hair on my legs and had my period already. I probably started wearing makeup in 6 or 7th grade, around 12 or so I don't remember but it was well before high school. I would let her start both now, but not heavy makeup

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 3:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree let the girl shave. Also, just teach her to wear makeup that is appropriate for her age, light and natural.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i agree with letting her shave, but as for the make-up... does she have bad skin? is not really pretty? i see no reason for a 13 year old to wear make-up. im sure she is pretty enough on her own that she doesnt need it.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009