Can I give my 5 weeks old baby fennel tea?

My daughter has lots of gas and gas drops or gripe water doesn't work much. My friend from germany sent me fennel tea and told me she gave that to her children and it helped. But I remember that they told me at the hospital not to give her water or tea or anything else than formula. And I also read online that it is not safe to give tea to babies, but I also saw that they sell baby tea. I'm confused now, does anyone give their babies fennel tea?

danijela1985

Asked by danijela1985 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never heard of it. I would ask the pediatrician before giving it to her. Different countries have different regulations on stuff and are more lax on stuff that could be harmful than we are

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 3:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No tea has caffiene in it ... please talk to your pediatrician and listen to their instructions .
    The only stuff I used to help with gas was drops that you can find in the store. Ask your baby's dr about it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• no the german tea doesn't have caffiene, that's the thing...and gas drops don't help at all.I tried it
    danijela1985

Answer by danijela1985 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If she has gas try carrying her on your arm, her belly to your arm. Her head at your elbow. Worked with my son. Also look up online for a gas a colic infant massage routine. That worked with my girls.
    I've never heard of giving a baby tea, caffine or not. I give my kids decaf or white or green tea when they have sore throats. But not till their like 18 months atleast.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't, seeing as you're not even supposed to give them water!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• if it's 100% fennel seeds it's safe. However, with FF babies you do run the risk of water intoxication so if you use it, do 1oz and THAT'S IT. No more. I've been giving my daughter 1-2oz of fennel tea(it's not *really* tea) since she was about 3 weeks old. But she was breastfed so I wasn't as worried about water intoxication. Just make it weak and try not to use it often. Don't put any sugar or honey or anything in it either.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009