Am I depressed or just sad?

I just had my baby 5 weeks ago and I feel very depressed. I love my daughter but she cries alot. She has acid reflux, colic and gas. She doesn't sleep much and is not happy at all. I don't have any family here to help me for a couple of hours. If I have to go to the store or anything like that I have to take her with me. And of course she cries. She cries in the car for at least 20 minutes. My husband works all day long and goes to school also. I'm so bored most of the time but don't have any motivation to leave the house. So sometimes, I'm at the house all day long. I can't take care of myself and I'm happy when I can shower once a day. I don't sleep at night because she wakes up alot. I don't really feel confortable talking about it with a doctor. I cry alot...and I just don't have any motivation to change anything about it. I think I need help but I just don't know what to do...

danijela1985

Asked by danijela1985 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Health

• I'm sorry you're going through a rough time right now. It can be really overwhelming when you have a baby, esp at the beginning. I remember telling my husband that if I could ever find time to both shower and eat while he was at work, I'd be really proud. And my baby *hated* car rides. I just tried to avoid it whenever possible, because she screamed so bad. I know you say you don't have any motivation to change it, but you posted on here and that's a step. I don't know if you are depressed or just sad, but either way it may help if you can find someone to talk to (dr, friend, family). They may know a good group or counselor for you to talk to (if you're comfortable with that idea). And sleep helps, a lot. I know that's pretty hard to come by these days, but maybe your husband can help out with one of the night shifts every now and then. Whatever you decide, just remember that these times will pass and things will get better.
    Anonymous