2 breastfeeding questions.....

1. I didnt get to breastfeed my daugher cause she wouldnt latch on but i am 5 weeks away from having my son and plan on breastfeeding him.What all do i need like breastpads and things like that?

the other question:
how long after you have the baby can you start pumping milk?I know they say let the baby breastfeed for a while at the boob so they dont get confused when you introduce the bottle, but i plan on going back to school & work when he is 6 weeks and so i wont be able to be here to breastfeed him.

brittoh

Asked by brittoh at 3:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 1- you need breast pads and some sort of soothing cream for the first week or so (i like lansinoh).
    2- they say to wait to pump until 3 weeks.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 3:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'd get nursing pads and a tube of lansinoh. And a good nursing book is a tremendous help, I used The Nursing Mother's Companion. Totally worth it. Nursing bras too.

You can pump the whole time to build your stock in the freezer, but I'd wait to introduce the bottle until about 4 weeks.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ps- good luck! breastfeeding is an amazing bonding experience. i've been loving it. i hope it works out well for you this time!
    mama_moonsong

• Everybody has already listed what I would have suggested

I started pumping as soon as my milk came in (3 days) because I was too engorged for my daughter to be able to latch on. The lactation consultant told me to wait 6 weeks to introduce the bottle but if you are going to be going back to work at that point, I would introduce it at about 4 weeks so that he can get use to it before he becomes reliant on needing to take it during the day. My daughter had a slight case of failure to thrive and I needed to pump and give her the breastmilk in a bottle every other feeding from 12 days til she hit her birth weight at 5 weeks just to monitor at least 1/2 her intake. She had absolutely no nipple confusion, in fact... she preferred the breast! And I successfully nursed her til she was 13 months
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I ran out of room!!

Its great that you arent throwing away the idea of breastfeeding just because your first wouldnt latch on. I tried and tried with my son and he would just not latch on and when I got pregnant with my daughter i knew I would try again. She latched on within moments of birth and breastfeeding was NEVER a problem!

So I hope that you are as lucky this time around as I was with my daughter
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Since you are going back to work I would say you are going to need a breast pump, nursing padss, milk storage bags (specially made milk storage cups or bottles work as well), and lanolin.

You can start pumping immediately. You just shouldn't introduce a bottle until at least 2 weeks once breastfeeding is well established.

Also I had very very severe latching issues with my daughter. I would suggest gettin in contact with a lactation consultant at your hospital or at WIC. I would have NEVER been sucessful without my LC.

ANd don't be afraid to ask questions. There are NO stupid questions!
    Anonymous

• 1. Make sure you get cotton breast pads, they are way better than the cheap disposable ones. Also make sure you get plenty of nursing camisoles or tops. There is nothing worse than learning to breastfeed with the added hassle of not having any proper clothes, trust me, it will save you a huge headache and you can get super cheap nursing tanks at Motherhood Maternity. Lansinoh cream might help you and some of those Gel soothies they give you at the hospital. I only used the cream and soothies for about a week though and then I was used to it.

2. The hospital lactation consultant told me to wait 2 wks. before pumping. I think it's b/c if you do so in the beginning you will get way too much milk, but I know some people who pump right away.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• oh yeah, get plenty of milk storage bags. I forgot that. I work full-time and pump and you absolutely need those.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I forget the name of them but in pregnancy magazines I've seen these new breast pads that are hollow and have a small hole for your nipple to fit through, so that leaking milk goes into the pad and can be saved to use!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009