Do you find that the economy has made you depressed at times?

I am finding that due to these hard economic times I am finding myself more aggrivated and depressed. I am currently looking for a job to help the family with some of the finances. It bothers me that we are living paycheck to paycheck as we never did before. I am know I am not alone as my husband points out but it still irriates me to no end. I try to look at the positive but somedays it really gets the best of me. Am I alone?

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• nope, not at all. My SO got laid off in February && he is back working now, but not for the same amount && we have been struggling ever since then. I am always on edge && every little thing aggravates me. I HATE living paycheck to paycheck, b/c I am not used to it. Before he got laid off, we had plenty of money to pay the bills && then some. We were living quite comfortably until the economy got f*cked up. so no you are definitely not alone.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• not alone! me too even though DH has a full time job and I have a part time, we are barely making it. I'm hoping after I have baby #2 in September and if DS starts pre-school that I can find something full time or still part time but more hours than I'm getting now. I can't do anything during the day while I'm home because we have to save the gas and money we have until next pay check and then its gone quick with all the bills again. I'm constantly worrying about everything and what if one of us looses our job and when I go to maternity leave, we wont have my pay check for a while

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 3:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You are not alone, and the sad fact is I have had a difficult time trying to find free support of any kind on line our in my area. My husband has been laid off for six months now. The jobs he has found have all been out of state and employers won't look at him because they do not want to pay relo expenses. He is willing to take a lesser job but has been told "no" because he would leave the first chance he would get. My husband and I are 48 years old and worked hard our entire life. We have put our son through college and now are attempting to do the same for our daughter. We have scrimped and saved. I have worked since graduating from college and not because I wanted to, but so that we could save for our future. The future is here and all that we saved is being used to keep afloat. The fear and anxiety can get difficult at times. It seems like there are support groups out there for the unemployed, but what about the spouses?
    2flownthecoop

Answer by 2flownthecoop at 4:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No you are definitely not alone! Whenever something as major as finances weighs on your mind, you can't sleep properly, and sometimes can't eat properly (which causes physical ailments). You think about things all the time like, what can I do to help? Am I going to have enough money to meet the bill deadlines from this paycheck? How can I cut back when I've already cut back as far as I possibly can? You wonder why nobody is calling you for an interview when you KNOW you have the qualifications and you begin to feel like a failure because you can't land a decent job to help get you out of the hole you feel is getting deeper every month! Don't dare get sick because there is no money for doctors, even if you do have insurance. And the list goes on! For the first time in my life, this past year I have felt my self-esteem slipping. I know it's not me, but I've always been able to do something...
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have found that 3 things have seemed to help: 1)Take a B-complex vitamin daily since the Bs are mood enhancing vitamins and we don't always get what our bodies need through our food. 2)Every time I feel like I'm slipping with my emotions, I immediately pray, asking God to take the burden from my back and acknowledging that HE knows better than I do what life will bring and what my needs are ~ He is in control. Definitely not me! This helps me to back off from any guilt and worry. 3)Find something that I CAN do to help others. Whatever it may be, even just coming here and answering other's questions! When our focus is on God and others, we tend to forget about being a worrywart, which is the main ingredient for getting depressed!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Anybody can be an encourager for other people. That's the "class half full" effect. And you will feel so much better yourself for having helped others.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It can be really discouraging when you are living paycheck to paycheck. You hope and pray that no major catastrophe happens that can put you in more of a financial tailspin. This is the time for you to take the opportunity and make things happen for your self. Have you ever thought about working for yourself? If you could meet other moms who were at one time walking in your shoes right now, but have made a significant improvement to their household income, would you be interested? If there was a way that you could earn a legitimate salary without having to sell anything, or have major start-up or ongoing monthly fees,and you had the support of moms just like you who are successful, and you could run your business from the comfort of your own home, would you be open to hearing more? If so, find out how we are making a change at www.Enhancingfamilies.com

amynic

Answer by amynic at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009