SO owns his mom money so she kept money she owed me!

I don't see how is fair at all. So borrowed money from his mom for a hobby he has. They made a payment plan for him to pay her back. Well SO mom and I cleaned a house together I was owed $120 from it. SO mom got hurt out of state and is still in recovery. So the guy gave te check for the cleaning to a friend of his and SO mom. Going into the cleaning I told her I would use the money for my son 1st b-day. SO mom owns this friend money so she said just keep it all because SO owes her. Why is it ok to take the money I worked for to cover money SO owed her? And knowing it was for my sons b-day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• she probally saw it as you & your so's money... like when you're married everything is shared
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying it's right, but if you live with him and your money all goes together, I can see where she would see it as a good idea. I mean, has SO been paying her like he's supposed to? If he is keeping up with the payments, then I'd be really mad. If he won't pay his mom, and she needs money, she might have seen this as an opportunity (although a sneaky one) to get her money. All you can do is talk to her. Oh, and not do business with her. I learned not to deal money with family, my brother has owed my over $100 since November, can't get a dime out of him. My mom is sending me his birthday money this year!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Well if you live with your SO, then your acting as a family right? And family's share money. If you don't live together- then I would demand the money back. Tell your SO that he needs to stay faithful to his promises as well that way it won't come back and affect you! Good luck!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would tell her no, I worked for that money and I need it and he will pay you what he owes you, and I wouldn't work with her anymore if she's gonna do that. She could have at least asked you if you wanted to do that or told you she wanted you to work with her and she would keep the money for what he owed her but then she probably knows you wouldn't have done it if that was the case, but of course nobody would

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 4:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• UPDATE!!!!!

SO mom is in recovery in another State. We put all our things in storage and moved into her 1 bedroom house (we have 3 kids) so she wouldn't lose it. We pay ALL her bills and rent and care for her dogs. We could leave...she would lose the house, everything in the house and her dogs would be left alone. You could think she would be nicer.
    Anonymous