Why should I regret who I voted for?

I guess I just don't understand why people who don't even know me expect me to regret a decision that I made? I did a lot of research and was well informed before I voted for Obama. I understood perfectly what he stood for, and I agreed with him. So why is it that a perfect stranger that doesn't know a thing about me assumes that they have some sort of authority to tell me my decision was wrong. Why? Because my opinions don't align with your own? Since when did having a different opinion than someone else suddenly make one of the opinions right and one wrong? I thought it just made them different. I guess I'm just having a hard time grasping where this animosity and anger towards a stranger comes from.

Jafra_mommy

Asked by Jafra_mommy at 4:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I love Obama. I didn't vote for him because it was a "cool" thing to do, and I don't believe that people that have voted for him feel that way. I voted because I think he is the best thing that ever happened to us. Now, there are people that disagree with that, and that is ok. This is a free country and we have the right to express our opinion. It is just sad when people get nasty just because you don't feel the same way. I feel we have suffered as a Nation with Bush/Cheney and I am glad that the ERA of lying to the people is over! Oh, BTW is Obama supposed to fix everything that Bush/Cheney have created in 8 years, in just a few short months? He is great, but he can't perform miracles!!

SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 7:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The ask repeatedly and annoyingly because they one day hope to be able to say..I TOLD YOU SO.

Because one day they want to be able to take the credit for changing our mind..some people can't grasp the idea that others don't think like them.

I don't care what you think as long as you THINK!

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We're not saying that you didn't make the best decision you thought you were making based on the way Obama presented himself, but it's become quite clear that he "misrepresented" himself on a number of issues.

Those of us who did not vote for him, knew he was bad news, but so many people were enamored by him! I didn't expect much, and yet he has far exceeded my disappointment in him by his comments and actions since Inauguration Day!

So the "regrets questions" are just trying to discern who feels they were duped? If you feel you got everything you wanted from Obama and then some, then good for you, but not everyone (who voted for him) feels the same way.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Lol, thanks. I don't think I told you so is as gratifying as people think either. Especially when you hope that in order to say that "I told you so" you hope our government fails us completely.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 4:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I just hope Obama fails...not our country!
    Anonymous

• LoriKeet, I disagree. I don't feel he's misrepresented what I expected at all. Again, how can you know what I expected if you don't know me? Do you automatically assume that I voted for him because of what came out of his mouth? Because I didn't. I based my vote off of research like his voting record, bills sponsored, etc. I also realized that no matter what he said (or anyone else said) he's a politician. Therefore it would be foolish for me to expect all the promisese made to actually happen. But it's really difficult to state that he hasn't followed through on everything he said when he's only had a few months to even try. At the end of the 4 years when I'm able to look back and evaluate what he did & didn't do then I think I'd get a more accurate gauge of what he did achieve.

I guess my biggest problem, though, is that you somehow feel that you have the right to project your own disappointments onto others. Why is that?
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 4:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• his voting record, bills sponsored,

***
    BASED on those things, that was enough NOT to vote for him! He is/was a JUNIOR Senator, who voted "present" more than sticking his neck out and being confident about what he did or did not agree with politically.

I feel I have the right to VOICE my DISSENT because I fear for this country. You can choose to listen to what I have to say or not, I am not forcing you to see things my way, I am simply trying to get people to REALLY think!

While the majority of those who voted for him are "wait and seers" I am not, I am proactive, and when I don't like something or someone, I say so! Last I checked it was still a free country, and I have the right to say what I feel.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• OP, YOU ARE SO RIGHT AND I SO AGREE WITH YOU!

Answer by older at 4:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I voted for him and I don't regret it most of the time, because most of the time I agree with him. Sometimes I want to kick him in the pants and scream, what the hell are you thinking!!!!!

Ironically, I didn't vote for Bush and I didn't regret that most of the time either, but then he would do something that was totally in line with my way of thinking, and I would say: gee, he isn't all that bad.

I think we need more moderate thinking and less abject hate/adoration. Don't regret your vote, even if you don't agree with the person, because: hey, at the VERY least, you voted. Oh, and to the people that tell you to regret your vote, they are just angry because their team didn't win. And you can hang that on the previous 8 years other team too.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 4:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• LoriKeet, do you understand what a present vote is? Present vote isn't like when your in grade school and say "present". It's a strategical vote. If there is a bill placed in front of a congress person and while they agree with parts of the bill, they also have a problem with certain portions of it they will vote present. This is a way to keep their voting record reflective of what they believe in.

Again, his voting record was not enough for YOU to vote for him. It was for me. Why? Because my political beliefs aren't the same as yours. Why do you assume that I think like you? I think it's pretty obvious from the get go that I don't. You have a right to voice your dissent (as well as many other rights) but I don't think you have the authority to try and people why who they voted for was the wrong person. You don't seem to get that.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 5:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009