Does your child get Extended School Year?

I always knew that the Extended School Year was for children with disabilities. A neighbor seems to differ.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• ESY is for special ed children who are unable to retain skills during the summer months. My daughter is in SPED preschool, but she doesn't get ESY because she doesn't lose skills.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• toriandgrace. Thank you OP

toria...

ESY is for special ed children who are unable to retain skills during the summer months. My daughter is in SPED preschool, but she doesn't get ESY because she doesn't lose skills.
    Anonymous

• My children have autism, and while they do not lose their educational skills over the summer, I have CHOSEN to send them (it was optional for my children), for the extra practice. However, this summer they will be attending a full-day, day camp!

ESY can ALSO be for children who haven't mastered the IMPORTANT core skills, or missed too many days. It depends on your school districts and how they define ESY.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009