Weight Gain

I am about 6 weeks pregnant and a tad bit over weight. Is it possible to do moderate exercise and eat healthy and lose weight while preg? I won't do anything to harm the baby, but don't want my weight to get out of control.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it's possible, but ask your doctor what is safe.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 4:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They say it is not okay to lose weight while you are pregnant, but some people do without even trying. I would say try to exercise as much as possible and is comfortable and eat healthy. That way you will hopefully just gain it in your stomach and no where else. Exercise also helps in the delivery.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I also am overweight. I just found out I was pregnant. I have been researching this very thing over the internet. It isn't safe to try to lose weight while pregnant, but you can eat heatlhy and drink at least 3 liters of water a day, walk around 30 to 40 minutes a day at a moderate pace, or swim and be fine. If it starts to feel uncomfortable, then I would stop. The thing is, if you are dehydrated or you overheat yourself, your baby will feel the same. Think about this when you are drinking or eating...would I want my child to eat this? I try very hard to feed my son healthy food. I don't really allow junk food. It isn't good for our kids and they don't need to get in the habit of eating crap. So, don't let your baby be in the habit of having bad food before it's even born. I would ask your doctor for the amount of calories you should intake, but I would aim for 2300-2500 calories a day and drink only water.
    Desperate4God

Answer by Desperate4God at 4:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I was overweight when I got pregnant..I lost about 8 pounds at the beginning of my pregnancy..I've put on the 8 pounds I lost plus another 2 and I am 36 weeks pregnant..gaining weight was a big issue for me because I lost about 26 pounds a few years ago and kept about 20 of them off but everyone's body is different...I was at my pre-pregnancy weight from 25-35 weeks, and just gained 2 pounds now. Talk to your doctor..you might not even have to try. My doctor told me I will probably be 12-14 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight after I deliver and I am not complaining! good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• For a person that is already over weight, 2300 to 2500 cals per day is alot, in general, if you are pregnant, you only need to increase your cals by 300 per day, if breastfeeding thats 500 cals. A normal weight person is recommended to gain 25 to 35 pounds, that is the 300 extra cals. A person who is underweight is asked to gain more, but an over weight person it is recommended to gain about 15 pounds. Talk to your Dr about this, eating heathly is a good thing, drinking plenty of water is also good, but losing weight while pregnant is to be avioded if it intentional. You may drop some weight just by eating healthier, junk food and fast food is loaded with extra cals we dont need. I would talk to your Dr, ask him how many cals you should be eating per day.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes it's possible. I'm overweight and a diabetic. When I became pregnant with my son I continued the workouts I had started to get my diabetes under control and lose weight....at 9 months I was about 12 pounds lighter, which doesn't seem like a heck of a lot but I was ANOTHER 12 pounds lighter after I delivered him as well. Which I was happy with.

I've lost 4 pounds so far in this pregnancy!

I use Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds 2 mile videos...which is about a 30 minute workout, which is a healthy amount of cardio. You can even try them free if you have an Exercise on Demand channel or go to www.exercisetv.tv to try her 1 mile or 2 mile free anytime!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If you are over weight it is possible to lose weight (expecailly if you have morning sickness). I've been over weight for all 4 of my pregnancies. With my first I gained 7 lbs, 2nd lost 11 lbs, with my 3rd lost 7, I'm now 34.5 weeks with number 4 and have gained only 4 lbs. I just watch what I eat and don't have much of an appitite, and so I eat mostly fruits and dairy. My midwives said I'm doing fine. I like wwalking out of the hospital with my new baby and weighing less than before I got pregnant.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009