Can a child with Autism attend College/University?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• 8:02 Anon keep your close-minded uneducated nonsense to yourself.

OP My brother in law is in the mild/moderate range of the spectrum and was just accepted to one of the top film schools in this country.

My oldest son is 5 and in the moderate range of the spectrum and will be ending kindergarten by reading "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" to me at bedtime instead of the other way around so it's a foolish notion to just assume that because they have Autism they are uncapable of learning or anything else neurotypicals can. It's a different state of being, not a different level of intellect.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It would depend on the severity of the disability, but it is certainly possible.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• yes! Most colleges have programs for speciall needs children but my cousin is attending Uof Indiana as a regular student and is doing wonderful
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 4:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have every expectation that my children will attend college and earn college degrees, and then become independent, successful, productive, and contributing members of society! Whether my children go away to college or attend one nearby where we can help keep them on task, and deal with college life and expectations is something we'll consider later.

With as many as 1 and 150 children being diagnosed (I know it more like 1 in 500) somewhere on the spectrum, these children are going to be flooding schools and the workplaces at some point. Society better start preparing for the influx now, because I do not want my children being dependent on the government!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes they can, a college can not legally deny a child because of a disability. They can say to the parent we don't offer any programs we feel your child would benefit from, they can say sorry but your child doesn't have the act/sat score to be accepted, but they CAN NOT just tell the parent the child can't go because he/she is autistic. Many colleges today have programs for individuals with Autism on the actual college campus, they're just not always well known. If your looking right now I would call your local community college or whatever university is near you and talk with the head of the special education department, they'll know what programs are available.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It depends on the severity of the disorder.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yep. I have autism and I am going to college.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Hopefully a special one ... that way they don't ruin any one elses education ... i think the should do online college , better for them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• they** for the
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009