how to potty train my 3 yr old daughter

i have been trying to train my 3 yr old daughter to go on the potty but she does not have any interest in it. she tense up when she is on her potty chair and when i take her off then she goes in her diaper. i am a stay at home mom and trying to save money as much as i can. my husband just got called back to work at a lesser pay. please help.

horselover2

Asked by horselover2 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's old enough for a crash course.

Switch her to panties. Just ditch the diapers. When you are home, try to keep her potty nearby. Every hour, tell her it is time to sit on the potty and try to go. She doesn't have to go - but she has to try. Don't ask her if she has to go, don't wait for her to tell you she has to go. Simply tell her it is time to try. If she makes a mess on the floor, have her clean it up. You can do a follow-up clean up with cleaners but she is to put any poop in the toilet and mop up any pee. This is not punishment, just a matter-of-fact clean-up, just like putting away her toys.

If she actually goes, praise her for being such a big girl. And anytime she does anything during the day that is "big girl", let her know how much you appriciate her big girl help... sorting laundry, setting the table, even making her own bed. Anything she couldn't do just 6 months ago.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh - and remember that night time dryness has NOTHING to do with day time training. Keep her in pullups at night until she is waking up dry at least 5 mornings a week. This is the one good time for pullups - they are "big kid" nighttime underpants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• What I did with my daughter I just got rid of the diapers and put her in big girl panties. I actually even would go in and sit on the potty while she was on hers and thats the only way I got her to go. Also I asked her every half hour if she needed to go to the bathroom it seems like a lot but I am a stay at home mom too and thats the only way I got her to do it and she has been potty trained since she turned 2. I hope thi helps and good luck.
    Anonymous

• I am having the same problem, right now with my 3yr old, she wont go in the potty much. she don't tell us she has to go until after she goes in her diaper. You should try what we are doing. a REWARD CHART. tell her to pick something that she wants the most @ the store. then tell her she has to get so many stickers on the chart to get what she wants then she should start learning. it's working for us. good luck
    lildiva23

Answer by lildiva23 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• What really kick started my DD interst in potty traing was going on huggies site pottyproject.com and let her watch vidios about other kids potty training. it really made her want to do it too. (this is in no way promoting huggies. i sugest not even using pull ups). i started out with her potty in the livingroom untill she got the hang of having to go on the potty every time. at first i would remind her to go every 30min. and if she could make peepee or poopoo she would get a tattoo (that changed to a jelly bean because tattoos only worked for a day or 2 with her). then i moved the little potty to the bathroom and she used that still untill she stared understanding the feeling of having to go by herself. when she got the hang of going every time we moved her to the big potty with a toddler seat. we also cut her jealybean down to 2 a day. if she had no acsadent she would get one at nap time and before bed.
    evythecute

Answer by evythecute at 8:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Now she goes all day by herself and doesnt need a reward. i dont have to worry about it at all. She has even started nighttime potty training herself, after lass than a month!
    evythecute

Answer by evythecute at 8:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You just put her in panties. Take her to the potty many times a day and make her help clean up the accidents. She'll be trained in no time. Avoid pull-ups at all cost! Good luck Mom.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have had alot of experience potty training toddlers, (working in a daycare, & 3 kids of my own)....and it seems like with each one you really have to wait until they are ready. I wouldn't force it, but, if you are really wanting the best results, stay away from pull-ups!! stay consistent, and it should pay off. But, if she really isn't interested yet or resisting, wait a few weeks, and try again, it is amazing how fast it happens once they get it!
    mom2aml

Answer by mom2aml at 9:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree with the others. Put her in undies only (except at night). Buy her character undies she loves - buy a lot, you'll go through them in the beginning. It will only take a few days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009