How to help my gassy baby?

My 7 week old son seems very gassy with both burping and pooting. I'm breastfeeding, and I can't pinpoint if it's something that I'm eating. It's pretty regular though and doesn't seem to vary from day to day. I've also used the infant gas drops to help a little. He gets whiny and fussy after his feedings. Any suggestions on how to help him or what I can do?

Lindzh01

Asked by Lindzh01 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lay him on you chest with his legs bent up like fetal position and lightly pat and bounce him!
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 4:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think one of the most common things that babies react to in their moms diet is dairy. I didn't believe it until I cut dairy out and the tummy issues got better. So maybe start there?

Also, I found that the drops didn't help DS at all. The only thing that really helped was to use a q tip with a little vaseline and gently rub it on his little anus and open it up just a tiny little bit. Yes, I know, a little icky if you are squeemish. But that can stimulate their bowels and open up their behinds so the gas can get out. They don't have any control over pushing the air out or relaxing thier sphincters, so the idea is to help do it for them. GL!!!
    MamaBuma

Answer by MamaBuma at 4:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree with the dairy comment from above. My daughter had some problems with gas as well. When she does I lay her on her back and take her legs and move them in a bicycle motion. It helps alot!

Sometimes you can massage their stomach and that helps too.
    JanMichelle

Answer by JanMichelle at 9:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009