When do babies usually start sleeping through the night?

We have a newborn and I was wondering when we he make a routine for himself, like when will he have a usual time when he's sleepy wants to play etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well every baby is different and it depends on how you put him to bed as well. if you let him go to bed when you go to bed, then he'll start getting sleepy around that time. if you try and make a bedtime for him, then he'll start getting sleepy then. let me give and example:

with my son, he went to bed when we did. so getting a bedtime for him was very hard, when we wanted him to get to bed early. it took alot of bathtime, lotion, and CIO, this was about 5 months old. as for sleeping through the night, this is a different issue. he still woke up for a midnight feeding, and about 6 months is when i started not going to him when he woke up, i'd let him cry for about 20 minutes before i'd go get him a bottle. after about a week, he started falling asleep after the 20 minutes, then eventually started sleeping through the night. cont-
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My little girl is a year old and still wakes up several times a night... I have two friends who also have the same problem. From the many mothers i have talked to every child is different. Getting them into a routine is important, but ultimately your child will either be a good sleeper or not! Good luck!
    rubymom7408

Answer by rubymom7408 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We eventually FINALLY got him to sleep from 8pm - 8am, straight through.

Then we found out we were pregnant, with our dd. we had gotten accustomed to having our "our time" from 8-8, so no way was i going to change that lol. when my dd was about 4weeks old, i started feeding her at about 730, rocked her a little bit, to the point where she got sleepy. then i'd put her in the bassinet, and let her FUSS herself to sleep. if she cried, i only let her cry for about 1-2 minutes, if she was still crying then she wasn't ready, if she stopped it meant she was asleep. i kept doing this, and ever since then she's been going to bed at 8pm, sometimes 7, depending on growth spurts. this is with a nap from 12:30-4 every day. as for sleeping through the night, i did the same thing with her as my son, and she's been sleeping through the night since 6 months as well. GL hope this helps
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Every baby is truly different. There is no "average" or "usual" for this. Some sleep all night from birth, some still don't do it at 2 years old. To make it worse, what do you mean by "all night"? The official meaning is 5 or more hours in a row, some parent's are happy with 8, some are waiting for bedtime to morning.

In general...
    A baby is able to sleep 5 hours or more in a row by 6 months. That is "able"... not "will".
    A baby is able to sleep 8 hours or more in a row by 9 months.
    A baby is able to sleep from bedtime to morning at 12 months.
    Remember... that's "able"... not "will".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• oh as for playing at stuff he'll be able to play on his own at about 5 months. you can get a play mat that has toys dangling from the top, lay him on his back and he'll probly swat at them around 4 months, but that's probly about it until 5 months. i know the first couple months is boring, all it is is eat sleep and poop. but i loved those days..oh and my kids have been sleeping for 12 hours straight through since 6 months
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It depends on what you consider sleeping through the night. I read that "sleeping through the night" means that a baby is sleeping 5-6 hours straight. IMO that it BS and "sleeping through the night" means I put my baby to bed and don't hear from him again until the sun is up LOL! My son goes to bed at about 7:30p and for the past few months has been waking up at least once usually between 3-5 then sleeping again until 7a. It's only been the past couple of nights that he's been sleeping straight until 6:30-7am without waking up at all. Hopefully it will last! Oh and he's 10 months.

But it is good to start a routine as early as you both are able to stick with it. My son started his bedtime routine at about 4 months and within a week I could tell it improved his sleeping habits. It might take a couple weeks for your newborn to really get the hang of daytime, feeding time, play time, night time, etc.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009