How do I make my washer work? Please Help!

I just moved into a new house (DH is overseas) and the guys who moved me hooked it up wrong and my garage flooded. I don't know what to do or what went wrong (I was in the house and came out to see water everywhere). The cords are hooked up to the right line, but the hot water one leaks so I kept it off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It may not be something they did, something inside could have broken or come loose during the move. It's also possible that the washer drain line is plugged up - just like toilets and sinks get plugged up.

To help figure out what's wrong, try this website...
    http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_11_1.asp
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Hey .. FIRST .. FIND THE TURN OFF VALVE .asap..that happen to me as well. Do you have a sink in between too .. is the washer draining into the sink ? Mine fell out and drained on the floor. Are the hot and cold wires attached properly. Are they wet from driping. Also ,,, by anychance did the water over flow ouside the barrel and drain to the floor. You have a few scenario's that are possible. Now is bad time to ask but do you have a warranty .. ours were cover from ge since we got the extended warranty. well worth the 250 or so a year for the package since the belt breaks monthly from doing the towels and sheets and blankets, keep me posted stacy
    ALL4MIKENPAUL

Answer by ALL4MIKENPAUL at 8:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• also ... make sure if it is clogged the pitch of the pipe for draining is at the right angle ask the repair guy to check ...
    ALL4MIKENPAUL

Answer by ALL4MIKENPAUL at 8:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm not even sure when the water leaked out b/c I put the clothes in, turned it on and walked away. The clothes got washed, though. There is no sink. There are the 2 water valves that say hot and cold that you can turn on and there is a hole in between them, that I guess the water goes in?? The lines are hooked up to the right temp and I tried to tighten them, but they are as tight as they can go, but still water comes directly from them, but it also gets into the washing machine. I'm afraid to go turn it on again to see where the leak is b/c I have so many moving boxes that are already wet in there. Should I just call a handy man?
    Anonymous

• Its possible that the hose that connects your hot water to the machine has a hole in it. They are easy enough to change, but you need to know for sure before running out and buying a new one. You could gather up a bunch of towels, turn on the hot water valve and start up your washer (the towels are for cleaning up). Stand there and watch to see where the water is coming from. Then turn the valve back off. If it's coming from the hose, you can replace it. If not.......call the handyman.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009