why doesn't my doctor want to see me until i'm 10-12 wks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• because there's not much they can do other than blood work before that point. Its not always possible to pick things up on the ultrasound, dopplar before then. It works with some and not with others, so its really not that uncommon for dr's to wait.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Because there really isn't anything he can feel, see, or do until then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Get another damn Dr. He/She should be running test, taking ultrasounds etc. You need to see a Dr. No , you may not pick much up on the ultra sounds, but you should still go ahead and start with the questions & conserns and blood work.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 5:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• wow, most women don't even know they are pregnant until then!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• None of the doctors in my area see women until 12 weeks unless there are health issues with the mother or a history of early miscarriage. If they do an ultrasound too early, you could see nothing and scare the mother half to death. Or they could see a perfect baby and the mother could miscarry anyway. The fact is there just isn't a lot of things they can do if there are problems anyway. If you have questions or concerns, you can always call in and ask the nurse and they will either have you come in or help you over the phone. It is hard to wait.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had my first appt when I was 9wks...got an u/s to see how far along I was (since I didn't know for sure)...and I even got to hear the heartbeat with the doppler...and they drew blood to do bloodwork on me...and obviously urine too.
    some Dr's just may not want to see you before then...why, I'm not sure...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The risk of misscarrige drops dramatically after 12 weeks....doctors wait until they have a pretty viable pregnancy before they do blood work and ultrasounds because even if they saw a misscarrige beginning to happen there is nothing they can do about it to stop it. At twelve weeks a baby is a fully formed human and just needs to get bigger and put on fat, but all the parts and pieces are fully formed.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 7:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My doctor basically told me it was because she didn't want to have to do all the work to only have the pregnancy end up in miscarriage. so she prefers to wait until she knows that the pregnancy is going to make it to see anyone.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my doctor back in FL saw me at 6 weeks 4 days and i had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks 4 days, they could hear the heartbeat and see my baby.and this is my first so i dont know why sweetheart, get a new doc and good luck sweetie.
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Im not sure why they wouldnt want to see you...i had my first ultrasound at 7 1/2 weeks and could see and hear the heartbeat...get a new Dr!
    excitedmomma2be

Answer by excitedmomma2be at 1:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009