Disney World info and tips!

Help ladies! I'm surprising my son with a trip to Disney World in Florida on his fifth birthday (next Jan.) I'd love to hear your input on rides/shows/hotels/eating/shopping etc. Please let me know where you stayed, how it went, what you loved and what I should avoid! Any tips are greatly appreciated !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Travel

• We surprised our kids when they were 6 and 8. I strongly suggest you stay on the Disney properties. It makes getting around a cinch and Disney makes it so much fun! I bought the kids new disney toothbrushes, an outfit, fanny packs and just some other fun Disney stuff and packed it in their suitcases. They thought the were taking their Dad to the airport but when we got there he handed them each a plane ticket. We had brochures of our hotel and Disney which we got from the travel agent and brought them on the plane for the kids to look at while we were flying. I think I had as much fun planning as what the kids had on the trip. I also suggest buying the 12.99 disney cups from the hotel as soon as you get there. That way you can get free refills during your entire stay. Have a great time.
    McMayf

Answer by McMayf at 5:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Stay in a resort! They have transportation to and from the parks so quick access to the hotel rooms for rest breaks. Be prepared to have to go back to the hotel mid day for a break. At five he will need some time to just wind down and rest to enjoy the rest of the evening. Go to Disney.com and you can make a free personalized park map! Do a Character dinner! There is a family style one in the Magic Kingdom called the Liberty Inn (I think that's right) Any way call in advance to make reservations to any sit down meals. Also in the Magic Kingdom is a Barber shop. They do hair cuts their but also crazy hair dos with colored gel and spikes and such. Epcot can be a bit daunting for a younger child save that for the next time. The Animal Kingdom has some great stuff but may not take up a whole day. Plan on spending the majority of your time in the Magic Kingdom. Don't miss the Spectromagic Parade! It's awesome!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Remember that you are not going to get to meet every character so choose wisely which lines to stand in. Let him buy something small as soon as you get there to get that out of his system for a while. Do the Pin trading! You buy a lanyard with 4 pins on it and you can trade with staff members and other visitors as well as just buy pins you like at stores. It is a lot of fun to look at all the lanyards and find new pins.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Definitely stay on the property, it is so easy to use the bus system. Take advantage of the magic hours. Each day a different park opens early (1 hour) and a different park closes late (3 hours), but only for guests who stay on the property. We loved the meal plan. I just booked my reservations according to which park was opening early or late that day. It made it easier because we never worried about food, made it feel like an all inclusive worry free vacation! Buy a battery operated mister fan BEFORE you get there!!! We failed to do that and we paid $20 per piece. They will put ice in it for you so you have nice ice cold water spraying out! Very nice! Just remember you won't be able to do or see everything! Use the fast passes too, they are a lifesaver!!! Have a great time!
    flounder92

Answer by flounder92 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• avoid Disney World in the summer, very, very hot, and crowded too.
    LilDi

Answer by LilDi at 12:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009