Opinions please...

We just recently got our teens cell phones on our family talk plan. We did this to save money because they had the pay as you go which was just getting expensive. We told our kids we would pay for the phones and we told them we have a set amount of minutes on this phone plan and that they have a set amount that may be used. An aquaintance of ours thinks that this is ludicrous that we limit the amount of minutes they are given each month and we also made it known that the phones were not to be used for everyone of their friends to get ahold of them...we told them we have a home phone for that. She feels we are to strict when it comes to certain things...mind you she only has one kid and we have 4 children. I don't feel it is ludicrous because we got the phones for them for emergencies and if we need to get ahold of them. Let me know what you all think. This woman has me second guessing myself...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• dont second guess urself. really. your kids, your house, your money, your rules. if other people dont lik it then they can do wut they wish with their kids. i think its a good idea, the only thing that could end badly, is if they did use the fones to contact freinds and ended up running up the bill. but as long as they know who cares?
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If she wants to pay their bills, by all means, let them have unlimited minutes. I doubt she's willing to go that far though if she really sees you as being wrong here.

Even adults sometimes have limits on the number of minutes they can use on their cell phones. Why should a kid be any different? I think your rules make sense and you should stick to your guns.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• She might think that it is expensive to be doing this I guess that is what she means, I mean she only has one so I can see what she is saying, but in your situation I can understand also if you got the money to pay for the bill she should mind her own business and be quiet.

I have two kids and I know I think about the day that they will be visiting friends and not being at home and yes I will buy the two or four phones if I have to to keep in touch with my kids I would want to know where they are. I am even thinking about letting them walk to school this year (6 & 8) we only live 2 blocks from school anyway thinking about them using walkie talkies ask ur friend if that is ludicrous...!!! Us mom's are all different so do what you want. I don't c nothing wrong with it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• U r doing the right thing. Our boys have phone and they know how many minutes we all have to share. If you dont put a restriction on it you will end up with a huge bill. I still check our minutes online all the time and tell them where we are so we are all on the same page. good luck. Y
    Anonymous

• My kids have limited minutes, but unlimited texting. It has worked out great, the minutes are only used when needed, but they can text thier friends whenever and wherever they want.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I feel that you are doing this very reasonably and fairly. They will soon want texting because that is how their friends are going to want to contact them instead of "talking out loud." I took text away from my son for now while I try to figure out what next. He forwarded on some dirty jokes in text form, and believe me the kids will say in a text message things they won't say outloud and he was getting crude messages from girls. I know one family that takes their 3 kid's phones at night and looks at what they have texted and received also. Also make sure that with their phones they did not get access to the internet, I had to have my son's "blocked" by AT&T. Good luck.
    MaeElizabeth

Answer by MaeElizabeth at 7:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Your kids, your rules! How old are your kids? Cell phones now days are really great safety features for kids. Home phones are great as they don't cost minutes if your kids want to chat. Do they have any features? Free nights and weekends? Unlimited texting? My girls know not to use day time minutes unless emergencies. They have free nights and weekends and unlimited text, so that is what they use.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I've received the same "you're an idiot" response from adults when I say we don't have unlimited text plans. I'm told "all" the kids text "all" the time. But you know what? It's our family & I figure just because they have zero ability to stand strong against the flowing current of outrageous technology doesn't mean I have to drown in it too. I've even said to adults, "I see every single monthly payment as essentially a prioritization. When I sign up to pay a service - phone, TV, internet - every month I'm committing to that above other things I can do with my money. And frankly, I think there are a lot more important things in life to enjoy." My 17 year old decided recently he needs to text to be in the social loop. So HE selected a text plan and HE pays that monthly fee. The rest of us (5 people) live on 700 shared minutes just fine.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Stick with what you have in place. Believe me you will be sorry of you change it now. These cell phones can take over their life. It is nice to be able to get ahold of them when you need to, but with four kids you would never again have a peaceful dinner. I wish I had been as smart as you, but once you implement something it is hard to take it back. the biggest plus of your plan is that you can monitor who they are talking with and at what hours. You don't say how old your kids are but late night talking and texting is a huge problem. Even if your kids don't make the calls other kids call them in the middle of the night when they know parents are not listening. Again I wish I had been as smart!
    timeflysby

Answer by timeflysby at 10:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ladies thank you for your input!
    Anonymous