I think that there should be a law against abandoning your spouse. Do any body else think so?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Too many variables to make it a law. What if its a battered woman escaping?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No, nobody should be forced to live with somebody they no longer love. There are better ways to end a relationship tho, like a divorce or simply being smart and not marrying the wrong person.

Some spouse make the mistake of depending on their spouses to survive and that is a huge nono that lives people felling bitter and resentful after a brake up. I know I wouldn't want a man 10 feet from me who needs a law to force him to be with me anyways.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree with a PP - that law could be construed to prosecute abuse victims for leaving. But, I think that if the right language and allowances were put into the law, there could be some kind of law that makes an "abandoner" who is also the main breadwinner responsible for some kind of support check until the abandoned spouse gets on their feet. But... That could also result in some seriously flawed situations. The "child support" law is probably as close as can be gotten to that kind of thing.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 6:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No.
    Why should there ? Obviously the leaving spouse had a damn good reason to leave in the first place. "Stand by you man" only goes so far. I'll stand by mine through the hard ships and battles, but I be damn If Im going to stand by a man that never pays me attention, Makes me happy, supports my family, or one that beats me.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 6:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Well if a spouse abandons you without reason and you can't find them, you can get more benefits in a divorce. I think that's the appropriate amount of interference from our government. An adult shouldn't have to stay in a relationship if they don't want to. Adults may come and go as they please.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I don't agree with you one bit. If a woman is being beaten, she should leave as soon as possible. What kind of nut are you???
    Anonymous

• anon 7:22 pm, she isnt a nut she is obviously a woman who has been abandoned and is hurting...geesh nice show of support for another mom. grow up.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009