• In the Spotlight:

Whats a real wife?

So a former friend of mine told me on Friday that I was not a real wife and she felt sorry for my hubby and hopes he figures it out and leaves me! We invited this friend and her husband and 3 kids all under the age of 3 to live with us until they found a place. The only agreement was they would help with food and bills that would go up. They moved in with us the week of Easter and we told them they had to be out last sat. They moved out on Friday. I work fulltime. Pay all the bills and my husband works evenings and I work days. That way we dont pay daycare. She stays home and her husband works. All 3 of their kids are in diapers. He makes $8 an hour working for a retail store. They are on county assistance. She sits at the computer all day. Their kids sit in poopy diapers for around 5 hours at a time. I asked her once how many diapers they go thru in a day and her reply was 2-3 including when they wake up. So am I a real wife?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes and she's obviously jealous!
    Anonymous

• no . do you clean do you cook do you take care of your husband and children 24/7 and not jsut the bills ?
    if not then no you are not . but neither is she she deserves to have her kids taken away .
    Anonymous

• A real wife is the partner of her husband, the couple works together to meet a common goal. They also love, support, and empower each other.
    Your friend sounds like a burden to her husband.
    Anonymous

• i dont think that being a wife means being a SAHM.

I think being a real wife means that you are a partner, a team, with your DH. ...and it sounds like you are doing that to me. who cares what she thinks.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• She sounds very immature. Of course you're a real wife! I am a SAHM and I do feel that it is my job as wife and a mom to stay home and make sure my family is taken care of. As a result, I do everything in the house, including cooking, cleaning, shopping, paying bills, dishes, you name it. The only thing my hubby does is take the trash to the curb, mow the lawn, and household maintenance things. But that's me. How others make sure their families needs are met may be done differently and that's ok. It doesn't mean one is more "real" than another. It sounds like you have a good arrangement so that the kids don't have to be in daycare, which is *very* important in my book. Ignore her and be glad you got her out of your house. ;)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 6:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree w/ anon 6:08. Don't even think about what she says, she has no right to judge you.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I am the one who asked the question. I do all the cooking and cleaning plus work fulltime. I pay all the bills. I work days hubby works evening. I come home from work give hima kiss and he leaves for work. We work together to make ends meet.
    ainsiesmommy

Answer by ainsiesmommy at 6:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• What do you and Dh think? Ultimately that is what matters.

From my perspective you are doing a tremendous job in a hard situation. You and he have made the decision that is best for your family, and you are making it work. Sounds like a real family to me, which make you a real wife and mom.

As I tell my kids what others tell you doesn't define you. If I say you are a purple cow from mars that doesn't make it true. Well that's about as rediculous as what she said to you, and not nearly as silly.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes! You sure are.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 7:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• agree with goldenfox we have the same arrangement he only does trash we pay get the yard cut.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009