what does "left" or "right" mean in a political sense?

what does it mean to be liberal, conservative, democratic, republican? etc. i havent taken any political science courses so i don't know. i'm young & curious. what terms does someone need to know to understand politics.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ignore anon 6:35--someone forgot her Midol today. Each party has its pros and cons, but generally speaking, R's are supposed to be for smaller government and encouraging personal responsibility in its citizens (as opposed to the government playing nanny to everyone). They're also supposed to be more conservative in spending our tax money, which would logically result in lower taxes for citizens. Democrats are more liberal in their thinking and have more of a philosophy of government providing for the people--everything from schools, to housing, and every kind of social program you can imagine, including for those whose own bad decisions have led them to NEED those services. I would google this topic and read a variety of articles written by experts in addition to asking cafemommers. You'll probably get a lot of crazy answers here.
    Anonymous

• If you are to the left you care about social issues, people and equal rights, if you are to the right you care only about yourself and those exactly like you, guns and money.
    Anonymous

• LOL Anon. It goes deeper than that on both sides but I did lol at your comment.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 6:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• plus many are right smack dab in the middle..
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 6:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Then there are folks like me that care about all the issues on both the democrat and republican side so I guess I would be considered either down the middle or as I prefer the name INDVIDUAL. What I mean is this.....I am neither for nor against abortion because what you do with your body is your business and I don't live in your mind. I am interested in all social situations concerning life for all of us. I am concerned about healthcare, spending like a drunken sailor, taking over companies, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I am concerned about my freedoms. I am concerned about the future of our country and my grandchildren's future. I care about global warming and Immigration. I care about our future as a free nation. And I care about the English language as our official language. I also care about jobs, housing, politics, taxes.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Hon, please, you don't need a label. The parties aren't what they used to be anyway. What you need to do is make a list of issues and decide where you stand on each. Then you check out your various candidates, and what they believe, and vote for them. Soon you'll figure out where you belong. The majority of people in office care less about being conservative or liberal and more about being in power anyway.

Or, you could just pick a side and start name calling.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Or, you could just pick a side and start name calling. ~ lovinangels

ROFLMAO, this is what usually happens.  LOL, good one lovin.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The right from what I can tell believes that people should have the choice to choose their healthcare, whereas the left would prefer for that right to be taken away ,and the government stands in the way between you and your doctor. The right believes that maybe people should stop being lazy and learn to stand on their own two feet without waiting in line for a handout. And that minority doesn't equal victim.Whereas the left believes that everyone is a victim and its not your fault if your doing wrong, you need counseling, your handled with kid gloves, instead of tough love. The left is strong enough to kill a child, an unborn child, but can't kill known murderers and serial killers and rapists. The left continues to throw money at the problem even knowing that it has been done for 10 years or more and still hasn't helped but will continue to do just that.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• foreverb3

clapping

What she said!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "Left" is wrong, and "Right" is right! LOL
    Anonymous