Anyone on here know who were the Millerites?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Millerites were the followers of the teachings of William Miller who, in 1833, first shared publicly his belief in the coming Second Advent of Jesus Christ in roughly the year 1843.

Miller was a prosperous farmer, a Baptist layman and amateur student of the Bible, living in northern New York, in the region of that state which has come to be known as the Burned-over district. Through a literal reading of the Bible--particularly the prophecies of Daniel and using the year-day method of prophetic interpretation, Miller became convinced that Christ's Second Coming was revealed in Bible prophecy.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 6:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Wow, I googled them and the history is soooo sad. How tragic. The Bible tells us that no man will know the day or the hour. Why do some people ignore that!!!!!????

That is why people need to be careful whose instruction they sit under. You have to listen with a critical ear and read carefully, just like the Bereans.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Actually the Bereans weren't critical but they were wise to not just take peoples word for things and studied the scriptures themselves.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes, I know who they were.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I meant it in a positive way, like critical thinkers. I am sorry it came out like I was insulting them. LOL. Thanks : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009