Have you "Blessed" your child?

I heard a discussion about this the other day on KKLA radio station. It is not a dedication or baptism. Its a special ceremony with witness present. The parent is to "Bless the child (teen I believe) before going into the world. I think its age 18? not sure. Speaking words of edification and encouragement. Do you have any details on this?

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 6:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You know I have heard alot about this from a pastor from the East Coast, Ken Graves (Calvary Chapel Bangor, Maine). He was teaching about how this was something that was always practiced in the OT and how it is such a blessing to make a point in the life of your child where you bless them and give them a rite of passage (in our culture our basic rite of passage is losing your virginity, guys think that is what makes them men).

I really like this idea.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Well we did a blessing when they were born. I suppose that's considered more of a dedication tho' . I will have to see if there's one for later on when they become young adults.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I bless my boys everyday before school. I do the sign of the cross on their foreheads and say may God keep you and bless you this day. Then give them a kiss on the forehead.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2009