is the school allowed to do this?

well, im not sure about this. My daughter recentley got a letter sent home from her health teacher that I had to sign. It was an assignment so if she did not turn it in she would lose credit. the letter said in summary "i have had the sex talk with my child" and then i was supposed to sign. how is this allowed because what if i parent hadnt had the talk the child would lose credit?

dani.elle

Asked by dani.elle at 6:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• well you sign it and give her credit, give her the talk the night before she goes back to school. around 13-17 they should know
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 6:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It does seem invasive. The school probably has their heart in the right place but I don't see how a child should be graded on their parents actions.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• public schools for you the way the world is they will be talking about sex in elementry pretty soon
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Um, no... they can't withhold credits from a child for lack of sexual knowledge.... and they can't teach it to them w/o your permission either.

Personally, I wouldn't have signed it regardless of my child's grasp of sex. It's none of the school's business what I've taught my kids about it or haven't. And if they failed her because of it, I'd have the local media out there so fast it'd make your head spin.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I actually like the idea. This way you are in charge of how she learns about sex and what she learns. You never know how it is taught in a health class in school, plus you can add the realigon or not, etc.
    But to answer your question, no, she prob. wouldn't lose credit if you sign the letter (that you saw it) but wrote you don't want your child to know about sex, yet. I have no idea why you wouldn't, though. Plus the next section taught in class is prob. going to refer to sex. The teacher is just making sure all the parents have had a chance to have "the talk" first. I think it is nice.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't have signed it if I hadn't spoken to her about it yet. I would have left a little note that said "I haven't had this discusion yet and I would prefer that the subject not be brought up. If this causes a problem please contact me." At that point they would contact you and you could explain youself in detail.
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I actually like that idea. There are too many parents with their heads in the sand. They aren't asking what you said to your child, just that you had a conversation with them. If you don't want your child knowing about their bodies, sex, prevention on STD's and pregnancy. etc then put it in writing and the child will be excused from those classes but the school has every right to not give credit for those assignments. She didn't do the work so she shouldn't get credit. It doesn't matter what the reason is, she didn't do the work. Depending on the school, the sex ed classes are done very well. You can go to the school and review what will be taught in the class. I don't see why any parent wouldn't want their children to be informed....before it is too late. I didn't get sex ed until 11th grade, that is way to late, IMO. My son had the STD, pregnancy prevention, etc talk this past year and he was in 7th grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• thats screwed up. its not the kids fault A and B thats not their place. if u dont wanna give them the sex talk you shouldnt have to. either give her the talk straight up or just dont do it and sign it anyways because thats not the skools place.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We received a similar note home for my daughter's biology class, but it was for a sex talk that she was supposed to have with us. Are you sure that you understood the intention of the assignment?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think they should have given an alternative assignment, for parents who aren't willing to have that talk yet. So losing credit wouldn't be an issue.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009