19 month old throwing everything

he is really active. seriously obsessed with throwing the ball and kicking it. which i want to continue to encourage.. however he so far doesnt have any words.. yet when he upset or gets i dont know gets bored he throw his food; his toys; his books;.. i think he kinda of understands and i tell him no dont throw your food and bowl at mommy .. then he starts clapping his cute little hands and says weeeeeeee.. seriously its funny and cute but sometimes its not funny.. my dh gets a little more frustrated with it then i do .. i think if i punish every time he throws something all i will be doing is telling him no.. not into spanking him.. is he to young to understand..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• He understands, he's just taking advantage of you. My little boy is the same way. My hubby was soooo against saying anything to him, he always told me that he was to young to be punished. Yeah ok. Now my 2 year old runs all over his daddy. HA HA HA But see, Mommy dont play that. Get control while you can
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 7:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• sounds just like my dd! She's the same age and doens't really talk a lot. She just started saying about 30 words in the last 3 days actually, before that, she didn't say anything but mama. She throws her food at me when she's done or bored and I just take toys away and tell her "if she's gunna throw it, that means she doesn't want it anymore and mama should give it away". She hasn't beent throwing as much and it does upset her.... she likes to kick her ball and throw that as well, i let her do that because it's a ball.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i forgot to add, if she picks one thing up and throws it and I take it away and she throws something else, I smack her diaper. Then tell her that behavior is not ok and the she needs a nap. She's cut down on throwing, but still does it. I think it's just a work in progress.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• He knows exactly what he is doing, and the quickest way to put a stop to it is to spank his little legs. It's not just about throwing the things. It's about his defying your authority in his life, and he will find other ways in which to do it if you allow him to get away with this one. I would nip it in the bud. If you will consistently spank, it will probably take less than three days to retrain him and stop him from throwing his stuff.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My DD is 18 months and has started throwing thing when mad or done with her food. My DS went through the same thing. when she throws inappropriately I grab her hand and give it a firm squeeze and tell her 'no throwing _____' then I hand her a ball or soft toy I will encourage her 'look Quinn! Throw the _____!' Followed by praise. It will click eventually it did with the first any way so here's hoping!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• OH I have when she has been being very defiant given her hand a quick swat instead of the squeeze. Sometimes I just need to get the point across better on her hard headed days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• He understands more than you give him credit for. But, it is developmentally normal for your 19 month old to throw things, he has learned that he gets a reaction out of people when he throws something, he learned that when certain objects hit the ground they make a cool sound and he like to hear that sound. Just keep telling him that we don't throw our things and we eat our food. He will eventually catch on and he doesn't need to be spanked or slapped, etc to get the point across. He is learning what he can and cannot do and needs guidance from his parents to help him out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I am surprised that he does speak yet at 19 months. I would get him evaluated; he may need speech therapy and early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• He understands ok, he is smarter than you think, even if he can't speak. He's playing you. As far as the speech goes I think that I would have him looked by the doctor to make sure that everything is ok. When the doctor finds him ok, he'll speak when he has something to say. If you don't want him to throw everything you need to teach him what is ok to throw and what is not , such as food dishes, other toys and books etc.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• She knows and is doing it to get to you. Put her on a chair each and every time for a minute and a half, tell her why you are placing her there and don't let her get up. She will get the idea soon enough.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009