Thrush

I'm pretty sure my 7 mo old ds has thrush. I noticed it on his tongue about 4-5 days ago and now I notice it on the roof of his mouth. It doesn't seem to be bothering him much right now. How fast does this spread and is there a chance for it to go away on its own? I am breastfeeding also and today while I was pumping at work, my nipple started to bleed. They have been quite sore during pumping for the last few days. He does have a well check in a few days. Is this something that can wait and is there something I can do for him at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a type of yeast infection and it needs to be treated with a prescription to have it go away. It will spread fairly quickly if not treated.
    Anonymous

• you need meds for it . take your baby to the dr
    Anonymous

• Contact the doctor asap. Usually doctors will prescribe Nystatin without a visit. Since you are breastfeeding (way to go) you will also need to be treated. Thrush can be quite painful for you as well as baby so the sooner you are both treated the better. If you noticed any fussiness with eating lately thrush is the reason. Make sure you also boil everything that goes into baby's mouth as well as your pumping materials and bras. They also sell something called Gentile Violet (this may not be the exact name but it is close) OTC that you can use until you are able to get the script. It dyes everything purple so make sure you and baby are wearing clothes that can be ruined. Also try eating some yogurt to help as well. Good Luck! I hope you both feel better soon!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2009