Any funny cooking mishaps to share?

I was a veg for 17 years, then reluctantly began eating (and cooking poultry). I had no idea how to cook it. The first couple times I cooked chicken for my husband I boiled it, then fried it with some spices. God bless him for being such a good sport, he actually ate it. His friends at work felt so sorry for him that they brought him meat at work. I'm getting better at it thanks to my Betty Crocker cookbook! Am I the only dufus in the kitchen, or have some of you done goofy things?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 7:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh boy, a couple of years ago...

I was making breakfast. I have NO idea how long the eggs had been in the fridge, but when I cracked them they didn't look funny or smell weird, so I didn't think anything of using them.

So, I make breakfast, serve it to my SO, and I sit down. Now, I was pregnant, and the eggs tasted TERRIBLE so i didn't eat them. But he continued to munch away, so I thought it must have been me. So i didn't say anything. He got sick about 30mins later, lol, and when I asked him about the eggs he said that yes, they tasted terrible, but he thought I was trying something new so he ate them anyways.

Talk about a good man, lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• When I was about seven or eight, I put a pop-tart in the microwave. Instead of putting 50 seconds, I put 50 minutes. We had a dog at that time, and lo and behold, I ended up forgetting about my freaking pop-tart. About seven minutes before the microwave dinged, I wandered into the kitchen because I smelled smoke. I had set the pop-tart on fire! The entire kitchen was gray and smoky.

Ahahahah xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ahhh, the days of being a newlywed in the kitchen! LOL

I once thought I'd surprise hubby with a homemade cheesecake. I had some really nice canisters with all my flour, sugar, coffee, salt, etc. in them.

I made up the cheesecake with salt instead of sugar. One bite and into the trash it went. (Funny, hubby doesn't eat cheesecake much.)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My mom had always told me that you could cook baked potatoes in the microwave, well, one night, I had forgotten to put them in the oven and dinner was going to be done...so I put them in the microwave...but I forgot to poke holes in them. I was folding laundry at the other end of the house and all of a sudden I heard this weird sound and smelled something terrible. Well, the potato exploded and started on fire. Yeah, I don't cook much in the microwave at all!!
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Many years ago when I was a teenager, I had a boyfriend coming over to eat dinner with us. I'd already helped my mom make dinner, but she decided I needed to make biscuits too. I hate biscuits and tried arguing my way out of them, but to no avail. So dinner time rolled around and my mom made a big point of telling everyone that I made the biscuits. She didn't do me any favors... they were as hard as hockey pucks!!
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 7:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Has anyone made the mistake of heating a hard-boiled egg yolk in the microwave? They explode!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "Has anyone made the mistake of heating a hard-boiled egg yolk in the microwave? They explode! "

LOL My husband tried to hard boil an egg quickly in the microwave one morning before he left for work. He thought that if he submerged it in water it would make a difference. They still explode!
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 8:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• tried to melt marshmallows in the microwave for krispy treats,they puffed up about a thousand times and stuck to thr entire inside! Nice mess to clean up!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• When I was a teenager, my best friend and I decided to make cookies for her boyfriend. We were laughing and joking around, and she was mixing in some of the ingredients, and the put them on the pan to cook. We put them in the oven for the time stated, and they came out flat and dark dark dark brown (almost black). We were trying to figure out why they looked like that, and come to realize, we didn't put the flour in the mix! It was hilarious! Her mom still doesn't let us forget it!
    Erin1108

Answer by Erin1108 at 4:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My mom worked nights when I was about ten, and so I had to cook for dad (completely worthless in the kitchen). My first meal was spegetti. I didn't cook enough noodles, they weren't done all the way, and I never knew to rinse them. I had the sauce cooking for the same amount of time as the noodles, and most of it splattered everywhere. My dad was laughing at me, and I got all upset. Then, I had a plate full of spagetti, and I turned really fast to get it on the table, and the whole thing went flying off the plate and into the wall on the floor. My dad was hysterical with laughter. He laughed and joked about that for years down at the small town cafe where we ate often after that. A lot of other fathers were there with their daughters too....they all had stories.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 9:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2009