Is there an easy way to stop my daughter from going to sleep with a bottle?

It worked for us when she was little up until now, but my conscience is getting to me. She has two teeth, and I don't want her to get cavities : / She's great at self-soothing for naps during the day. Is there a way to stop having to hold her and give her a bottle to get her to sleep at night?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can give her water and that won't hurt her teeth or you can try giving her a binkey
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Honestly,
    You should not have even let that habit get started. Did you even realize that your baby can get bottle rot even without them having new teeth yet?
    I like you and most of your responses to this. ...I'm sorry that you made the choice to let this happen.

I personally, would just not let her have it any more. try a pacifier or any other form of soothing instead. But i dont think there is any easy way to take it away from her. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Do you not think that I fucking KNEW what I was doing when I started it? Sometimes we make choices that aren't the best, but we do what we have to do. Nobody is perfect. Oh wait, but I'm sure your children are perfect little angels because you made all of the right decisions, right? Way to go.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Anon;28 what a judgmental "Lady" you are. It is nice that you can say such rude things when hidden behind you nice little mask of anon. I am sorry that you made the choice to let this response happen. How rude and self degrading you are.
    Caitxrawks will surely have an easier time weaning her kid from the bottle in bed, then you will of teaching your kids to be nice and non judgmental jerks like you.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Anyway OP. It is important that you do it in small steps. One thing you can do it switching to water in the bottle. If your LO won't take straight water, then you can start adding water to the night time bottle. First 1/4 water and then every couple of days, cut more milk and add more water. After a couple of weeks it should be just water in the bottle. In my experience, your LO won't like water in their bottle and will not drink it all night long.
    Also it is important that they are able to fall asleep on their own without you cuddling them to sleep. If that is already done then great. If not do not do both things at once. It is too much to take th bottle and make them learn to fall asleep on their own at the same time. I have found that with kids one small step at a time it the best way to go.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Here's what we did (for us it was to get her off needing to be nursed to sleep, but I'd imagine the same thing would work. And also, I think this would only work if you have a fairly regimented bedtime routine already... What we started doing was instead of going bath - pjs - lights out - milk - right into crib; we did bath - pjs - milk with lights ON - wipe/brush teeth - read a book or two - lights out - the sing a song or two, and then into crib. The song part very quickly became her soothing ritual, and it allowed us to finally make reading part of her bedtime routine, as well (we always made time during the day, but after her bath she wanted nothing but milk!). So sometimes she gets drowsy while I'm singing, other times she gets into her crib pretty awake, but she just talks herself to sleep. She knows it's bedtime -- that's the important thing.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Or you can try reading Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep SOlution. She directly addresses this in a really peaceful, calm and nurturing manner for all. Don't worry about ANON... what she does not understand is that this is actually one of the most peaceful and natural ways for babies to fall asleep. Dont blame yourself... it is easy to happen. I rock my baby to sleep and will continue to do so... wonder if this is TERRIBLE according to anon. Good luck, take it slow
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ugh I am so glad someone else is facing the same issue. As with the thers I cannot believe someone would post such a rude response but then its easy to hide behind an anon. I feel horrible enough myself fr getting into such a bad habit with my dd. I have tried cold turkey but she just screams and i cant handle that. I dont want her to develop any trust issues or abandonment issues. Any comments are helpful
    BaileysMommy409

Answer by BaileysMommy409 at 2:05 PM on May. 27, 2010