What do you think of unique name spellings?

I know it the latest trend, but sometimes it gets to be too much. A beautiful name like Micaela becomes an atrocity when spelled MaKaluh. Why do parents do it? Do you think it is ok or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i hate it! if your kid's name is bob, please don't spell it b-a-h-b
    atlshine

Answer by atlshine at 7:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I am not a huge fan of the unique spelling. I think you should pick the name you like (and spell it right) or pick a unique name to be diffrent. Not both. I think it is confussing for others to say and spell, easy target to be picked on and a life full of explaning it to others. I don't think any parent should put that much on a child on purpose.
    Anonymous

• I think it is annoying! I work in a doctors office, and when i call back a child with a wierd or unique spelled name and mis pronouce it most of the time parents get upset! It should be expected when choosing to change the name! What ever happend to normal names???
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my name is kristiana but noone says that right its not a messed up spelling or anything . everyone calls me christina but its said
    kris te on uh .. that is how you say it . i dont care about other people and what they name their kids , my kids will have unique names not weird ass spellings
    Anonymous

• I agree. Choose a unique name and then spell it correctly. I think people who have oddly spelled names are often misjudged and thought to be dumb. Which is crappy for them especially because it is their parents fault.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree, some is okay some looks totally ghetto. I guess it depends.
    Anonymous

• I happen to love my name ...its been in my family for generations.....
    Michaux
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 8:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "I happen to love my name ...its been in my family for generations.....
    Michaux "

___

This doesn't qualify as a unique spelling... it is a family tradition...not some made up garbage.
    BTW how do you pronounce it?
    Anonymous

• they drive me nuts! people have enough trouble with my dd who's got an S in her name instead of a Z (susanne) - she was originally susan.

its no fun having to figure out how to spell names on invites for a birthday party and not knowing how to properly spell a name.

I feel sorry for those kids when they grow up with a "unique" spelling of their name and have to try and get a job. how can you be a professional or have people take you seriously when your name is almost unspellable or unpronouncable.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I named my daughter a "unique name" but made sure it was an EASY spelling, EASY to pronounce AND had nickname choices.

Cambria (CAM-BREE-AH) - We call her Cami, but she could also go by Cam or even Bri. And her middle name is Adrienne so if she wants to go by that or Addy..we gave her lots of options. LOL.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009