can you ovulate and not have a period?

i only have two or three periods a year how do i know when i am ovulating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes you can. I guess you can't really know for sure.
    Anonymous

• thank you!!!!
    Anonymous

• sometimes with cervical mucus.... if its ewcm. but not everyone gets that.
    might be able to tell if you start temping BBT... but if you have PCOS it isnt always accurate.
    otherwise you have to get a blood test to see if your progesterone levels have raised from your doc.
    and i guess you dont have to have a period after ovulation. but usually you do because your body will shed the ovulated egg and lining that built up. so not really sure on that
    Anonymous

• From what I understand, once you ovulate, you will have a period approximately 1.5-2 weeks later. It's not uncommon to have a period without ovulation, but not the other way around. I've never actually asked a doctor about that, so I could be wrong, but I've never heard anything to indicate otherwise. As to knowing when you ovulate, the best thing to do is chart your cycles, by cervical mucus and basal body temperature, as a PP said. You could also talk to your doctor about meds to make you start your period and then to make you ovulate to increase your chances of conceiving on your time-table.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You can take an ovulation predictor test. I had no period due to breastfeeding but here I am almost 3 mos pregnant and still nursing my 15 month old!
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2009