Supporting husbands goals at any cost???

My soon to be husband (in less than 2 months) has made the choice to go back to school to become a plumber. He has always wanted to become a plumber and I think is wonderful that he finally wants to go forth with it. He has supported me going to college for the past year. But the problem is that he has to quit his job which he travels with to do so. Which means we will not be able to afford where we are living right now, and would mean we would have to move in with his grandparents and live in their basement. I am still a little unsure about giving everything up to move back in with someone, I really like living on our own and having our own place. I mean I am going to do whatever it take to do this, because in the long run it will be better. Am I being selfish to feel this way? Would you do anything to support your husbands goals?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• It's really difficult to support your husband while he's finishing school. I did this and it really put a strain on our marriage. I'm not saying this to scare you, but my husband still hasn't finished school. We are in a good living situation with good money now though and it has been a blessing. Anyway...what I'm saying is it is really really hard! You can do it, but it's hard! I would wait to get married until he has finished school. He should not marry you if he can't provide for you because you'll end up resenting him for it.
    Anonymous

• My husband is going to school and holding down a full-time job. Even though I am 8 months pregnant I end up doing everything around the house, and sometimes I do get resentful bc he is not around as much as he used to be. However, I just remember that he is going to school to better provide for us later, and I know its not the exact same situation, but I think its ok to feel resentful and still manage to support him. We are entitled to our feelings, as long as we temper them with understanding and love as well!
    Anonymous

• Me personally I would find another way, like he goes part time or for longewr versus moving in with anyone. I have seen so many couples say"its just until (blank) is over" and 4 yrs later they are in the same spot with nothing saved ect...I understand he supported yu, but would he have if it meant moving in with your fam in their basement...maybe not? good luck tho.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We both worked and went to school we did not have kids waited until we were both done and had careers going before kids. It was still not easy but doable. I don't see why you cannot work and support him while he is in school. When not in class he can care for the kids and keep up with the house. If he was willing to do that for you why not you for him?
    Anonymous