austism question....

i was informed today that the heath dep is gonna be contacting me to set up a date/time for them to come by. my sons lead leval is a 10 and they want to see if its my rented home ( it is over 100 yrs old ) and we were told its lead free by landlord the outside is questionable. anyways i have now been told my son age 3 shows signs of being autistic so im wondering is there a test a doc does how do they say yes or no he isent. i have no clue what to do and also the fact that id they think this place is a no no now we will have to move, i was stressed to begin with no im more. he does have a vitamen every morning and he eats meat so he gets the iron. can anyone inform me? than u in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• This is a very very good website that will tell you everything you need to know. http://www.autismspeaks.org/

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ok first take a deep breath and try to relax.

Now my son is twelve now and he is nonverbal and autistic. I do not know how he became this way, but they may be saying this about your son because many people believe that metals in drinking water and foods etc. contribute to autism. There have been many studies done on this but it has not been found to be a concrete cause.

Make an appointment with your doctor tell him about the health department and their ifndings, write down all your son's symptoms (if he has any) and discuss them with your doctor. From there your doctor will direct you to either a neurologist or another specialist to make sure that there isn't something else going on. My son first went to an audiologist, then an ear nose and throat specialist, and when those two found no unusual symptoms my doctor sent us to the neurologist who gave us the diagnosis of PDD-NOS which is on the autism disorder spectrum.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 8:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• PM me with any other questions and I will be happy to help you. Autism speaks that someone gave you above is an awesome website I have found it very useful.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 8:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If your child has lead poisioning, it can be reveresed. Please don't panic until you know what the test results show. Also, your landlord could be lying about the paint being lead free. If he just painted over the lead based paint with lead free paint, the lead is still there. Google Lead poisioning and see what you can find out. The health department will be awesome with this testing and afterwards, they will steer you where you need to be. I hope all turns out well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I doubt your landlord said the place was lead free if it is that old. He probably said there is no known lead meaning he doesn't know about it. If the place is now tested and shows it has lead then he cannot tell any future tenant that though. We are landlords and there is a specific form to fill out. As for the lead poisoning thing calm down a little. My son was high, but it can be treated and he shows no side effects from it now. His was caught when he was 1 year though. As for the autism they will do a behavioral thing, but some of the symptoms mimic lead poisoning so you definitely want to discuss that with the doc doing the autism evaluation. They may delay diagnosing the autism until he is free of lead to make sure it isn't the lead causing the problem. Getting rid of the diagnosis is much more difficult then getting it in the first place when it comes to autism.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Lead is everywhere. My Dr. told me a very HIGH source of it is childrens side walk chalk, believe it or not. I pretty much only let my kids play with all natural, quality wooden toys so hopefully I don't get ahold of something like that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have twin godsons with autism, each at different ends of the specrum. one of them had high lead levels as a toddler, of course the one who put everything in his mouth, neither one has ever had immunizations so it is not that. their house is also old. and he was found with actual paint chips in his mouth, (near a window sill with chew marks in it). the county health dept came in and made them re-paint with oil base... anyway lead poisoning may be reason that his autism is worse than his brother? they were never able to confirm it.
    jenk1

Answer by jenk1 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009