Does anyone else insist that their child/children say "yes mam; no mam" and "yes sir; no sir"?

When I was younger my parents taught me that I had to say "yes mam: and " Yes sir", I would get in BIG trouble if I did not say it to my elders. My daughter is 5 and we have been working on it for about a year and a half, she has it mostly, she forgets sometimes. It is very important to me for her to say it. I believe it is polite and a sign of respect. When I watch TV and I see kids on Oparh, The Today Show, and shows like that, and they answer questions with "yeah" it makes me cringe. When I was over the age of 6, if I had went on TV or anywhere in public and said "yeah" to an elder, my mama would have kicked my butt (you know I am exagerating, but I would have gotten spanked) It seems to me that less and less parents are insisting that their kids do it, and I was wondering why?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 8:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wasn't taught to say yes mam and no sir but I did it anyway.And, I still do at my age. This is my philososphy: Manners fit everyone. No matter what style, size or shape. I think that teaching your child manners will help them learn about self respect and respecting others. So, I do teach manners to my child and have received compliments from several people that tell me how polite and well behaved he is. Now, this goes without saying that he's a kid. All kids have their meltdowns. They need them. It's normal. But, it is my duty as my child's mother to make sure he is well mannered.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No, I don't. It is not something that is done in my area. My son is still respectful but if he started saying, "yes ma'am, no sir", his teachers would think he was being disrespectful and mocking them. I think you see more of that in the southern states as opposed to the Midwest from where I am (Wisconsin)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my daughter does it, but not w/certain people. i don't require her to say it to myself or her dad unless she has been told to do something, than she says yes mam to show shes heard us (shes 3 1/2), there are certain adults (aunts/uncles, very close family friends) that i don't insist she say it on a regular basis otherwise i'd be walking around her telling her to say sir or mam. but shes good about remembering to do it, we are working on mr and mrs right now. which is also something they will have to say.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My DD is only 2 months old but I fully intend on making her say ma'am and sir! That's how I was raised and that's how I want her to be raised. Plus my DH is in the military and it's kind of mandatory lol. So if she is ever around his superiors once she's old enough to talk, I want her to show respect as he has so, also it shows a reflection of how he raises her in their eyes. He is very big into his career and I want them to see he shows the same kind of dedication at home, not just on the job.
    Anonymous

• my husband was raised that way so he tells our son to say "yes sir" and as for me I think "yes mam" makes me sound old and I'm not ready for that yet, so I'm fine with just "yes' 'ok' as long as he does what I have asked him to do
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yes mam! I was raised to think it is polite. So we have made sure our son respects adults by saying Please, thank you, yes mam or no sir on a regular bases. Ok he forgets every once in a while. I even hear him say then to children sometimes.
    oh, I was raised in MO and now in MS (so mid-west & southern. LOL)
    Anonymous

• totally! my ds is 2 now and i'm starting on trying to get him to say it. i was raised to say yes ma'm and yes sir, my kids are going to do it too. it's just polite. and it doesn't matter what state you're in. i highly doubt teachers in school would think it's being disrespectful to them. it's all in the matter of HOW you say it. if you say it with an attitude, THAT'S disrespectful.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't make my son say ma'm or sir. I've never heard anyone around me say it and I agree with the first poster, I think it depends what part of the country your from, or if you're a military family. I'm 22 I've never run into anyone that's answered that way, except when I spent a few months in Germany on an army base. Everyone said it there. My son says please and thank you, listens when you talk, and does what he's told, so thats all the respect I need.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• no thats old english talk, no one talks like that anymore. unless you live in the south or somethin lol
    Anonymous

• Well I live in Alabama, but I think it would be respectful anywhere.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009