Love thy neighbor...?

This is sort of a jump off, of another post. I read an answer whom said, "Love the sinner, hate the sin".. and compared it to disciplining a child. Which I understand.. the comparison. My question is..

if you consider someone who is not Christian, a sinner, how do you punish them? Do you fear them and stay away.. casting them out of your life? Or do you befriend them anyways?

How would you discipline your child if they decided to turn away from the Christian faith?

I say it this way, because I see often enough, people condemning those that are non-Christians (yes it goes both ways too). And if the Bible is suppose to say "Love they neighbor" etc. etc.. would you treat a neighbor like you would your child? Or would you treat them in a different manner? If you treat them in a different manner, aren't you sinning by not loving thy neighbor?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 8:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think anyone should punish someone else just for not being a Christian. I love my non-Christian friends. I do think the Biblical morality is a good and healthy standard for living, but it is my standard, not everyone's.

I would not discipline my children if they reject my faith. That is absolutely thier choice. I will keep praying for them to change their minds though, lol, but I know that following the Lord is a choice that THEY have to make (I can't make them chose the Lord).

I personally believe that God wants me to love everyone He made. We are all made in His glorious image and we are all very precious and valuable to Him. There are consequences for things we all do wrong, and I think that is a good reason to try and live a right life

I discipline my girls by teaching them that they can make their own choices (I can't control them) but their choices have consequences, because that is a spiritual law.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I will check back tomorrow.. have some laundry to catch up on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Only God knows who the Christians are and are not. And we're all sinners. So how do you turn anyone away? Or how do you really pick who to "love".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Wow that was a lot of info at once! Let me try to answer this...
    It is not my job to 'punish' a sinner first of all. Nor is it my job to judge. I would befriend a non christian who has sinned just like any of my 'church friends' since all have sinned anyway.
    I would not punish my child for turning from God. I would encourage them and love them just the same. I have done my part by teaching them the way they should go. I can't force them. It is their choice and I have to back off and let them make it. It is God they will have to answer to not me. Same with a 'neighbor' I can set an example and share what I believe but I can't make them believe it. It is their choice to make. I again have to back off and let them make it. Again it is God they will have to answer to not me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• How did i do? Did I get the question?
    But_Mommie

• First of all I do not understand the comparison of your child to a neighbor ? Your child is your child and you raise them accordingly. A grown up, you cannot do anything about what they believe except (if they are open to it ) you can share your faith, other wise no I would nt shun them but by the same token I would not make them my best friend. Being unequally yoked also goes for friendships. If you enjoy christian music and church outtings and your neighbor wants to drink and hit the club, she may be a great person but you just cannot enjoy each other's company. As far as my child turning from the christian faith, all i could do is pray.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• thats up to GOD
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure if you are identifying with the "sinner' here, but that is what I'm guessing. You can't expect people to treat you like a close friend to fellowship intimately in conversation with if you are not following the truths of the Bible. It is impossible because the sin creates a disconnect with the spirit. If you grieve the spirit, there is a natural separation of fellowship with those that are living their lives in the spirit of Jesus Christ. This does not mean that you are not "loved" that special connection is lost though as a result of choosing sin over choosing the spirit. People are waiting hoping that any sinner will turn and choose to walk after the spirit and join the fellowship of Christ Jesus and it is so wonderful to be there. Yes, we honor all people as creations of God, but that doesn't mean agreeing with sin. As in the woman caught in adultery was told to "go and sin no more".
    Anonymous

• I ran out of space. That is the natural consequence or "discipline" of sin. There is no fellowship. It doesn't mean you can't talk to a "sinner", but that understanding of the spirit and fellowship of the spirit just isn't there. A sinner is lacking the grace that is bestowed on those who are obeying the Holy Spirit. So the punishment is rather a removal of a good gift rather than a heaping on of bad things. If ta child doesn't take care of their toys, the toys get taken away and such. Or they are removed from the "fellowship" of the family like in a time-out until they decide to act in a way that is acceptable. So it is kind of like you do with a child.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in "punishing" anyone. We all have our own way of experiencing and relating to God, and therefore the nonChristian aspect doesn't bother me. As for the sin part, we all have our faults, and its not my place to judge others for theirs. Instead, I'd rather be here to encourage and support anyone in any way I can. Why punish when I can instead try to hep them overcome?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009