Thumb Sucking-2 month old

My DD just recently realized she can suck her thumb. This is a habit I DO NOT want her to start because I sucked my thumb until I was 5(Mom has pics to prove it lol). I usually just pull it out of her mouth and tell her "NO", but this really isn't working. My Mom suggested putting something that tasted bad on it(which is what she used to do with me) but I'm pretty sure she is too young for that! What can I do to make her stop before it gets really bad or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with for now??

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is something babies do as a comfort mechanism. Each child is different and because you did it does not mean she will continue on with it. . There is documented proof that some babies even suck their thumbs in the womb. She does not understand the concept of no right now. Just let her confort herself and as she gets older, if she continues then take other steps. As for the paci, my daughter took it but my son did not. So that is your choice. She may just like her thumb.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Give her a paci. Little ones need to suck on something because it is soothing. At least at some point you can take away a paci, you can't do that with a thumb...lol
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• its just instinct right now...theres nothing wrong with it. your right shes way too young to put nasty stuff on it(i think thats wrong at any age) my dd is 8 months and still sucks her thumb(my mom always tell me to pull it out of her mouth but i wont) i read most babies stop by the time they r at least a few years old and very few(in ur case )past then. although i dont have a problem with it,i would say u should wait until ur baby is much much older(say at LEAST 1 yr or 2,then try to teach her not to
    Anonymous

• dont give her a paci!!! babies do NOT need paci's!!! my baby has never had one,niether did i or any of my siblings! paci's are just something parents stick in babies mouths to shut them up without finding out what they really need. if a baby is crying the need something(diaper change,feeding,ect..) not a paci!
    Anonymous

• Pacifiers are for soothing, not for "shutting up" babies. My daughter uses on at naptimes and at bedtime. As far as the thumb, I would leave her be.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Babies are born with a natural reflex to suck, I think it's kind of mean to deny them of something that comes so natural to them. I wouldn't worry about it for now... there's a good chance she'll stop on her own. If she doesn't by the time she 8 months you could try pulling her thumb out of her mouth and say "not now" but still let her when she goes to sleep. Gently wean her from it at that point.

Honestly... I had so much anxiety as a kid that I wished I sucked my thumb!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "if a baby is crying the need something(diaper change,feeding,ect..) not a paci!"

Sometimes babies cry because they want to be comforted, and babies are comforted by sucking. Maybe you weren't and your children weren't, but that isn't a mold of the rest of the babies in the world.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i can comfort my baby without sticking a paci in her mouth
    Anonymous

• Oh anon, to be as perfect as you!!! Unfortunately, my daughter's need for sucking can't be resolved with a diaper or a feeding.
    Anonymous

• Babies sucking is natural, that's why many babies like to comfort nurse. My daughter eats for 10 minutes then just sucks while she falls asleep.
    I can't always offer her my breast, and a pacifier does the sam thing.
    To say that mothers just use them to 'shut up' their babies is absurd!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009