Thumb Sucking-2 month old

My DD just recently realized she can suck her thumb. This is a habit I DO NOT want her to start because I sucked my thumb until I was 5(Mom has pics to prove it lol). I usually just pull it out of her mouth and tell her "NO", but this really isn't working. My Mom suggested putting something that tasted bad on it(which is what she used to do with me) but I'm pretty sure she is too young for that! What can I do to make her stop before it gets really bad or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with for now??

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Onestepahead.com has this great thing to put on thumbs/fingers to help stop the sucking.
    I love their stuff.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 9:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• She's 2 months old. She will probably give it up on her own. She's just seeking out a way to comfort herself. All babies suck. Give it some time. Don't worry about the thumb sucking until she's older.
    Anonymous

• With my daughter I just would pull it out of her mouth and replace it with her pacifier.

It worked wonders, and at 13 months old she has not sucked her thumb a day in her life and we are weening from the paci as we speak.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• For goodness sake leave her alone!!!! She's just a baby. She's finding ways to self-soothe. Even dentists don't worry about thumb sucking affecting the teeth until the child is 3-4 years old.

I think it's CRUEL to yank your baby's thumb out of her mouth. Please don't resort to that.
    Anonymous

• Saying NO to a 2 month old is doing nothing, she doesnt understand at this age. Please dont put anything on her thumb...This is normal, babies have a strong urge to suck, this is how they sooth themselves, if its not her thumb it will be a paci, so the question is which do you want to break her from as she gets old LOL. She will suck, its normal..Dont worry about it yet, if shes 5 than do something but most of the time if they are safe, loved, and all their needs are met, they give it up on there own then move to a blanket or doll LOL. With kids its always something
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It is actually a good thing that she has learned to self-soothe.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• All babies suck.

they do not! they are cute and sweet and wonderful!

j/k : )

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• STOP forcing her to stop doing something that is developmentally appropriate. She is learning to self soothe and that is an important milestone. ALL babies need to suck, it soothes them and there is nothing wrong with a 2 month old BABY sucking their thumb. I sucked mine until I was in 6th grade. She is 2 months old and doesn't not understand why you are telling her to stop something that comes to her naturally. Ease up and let her be a BABY.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• let her be, she is just comforting herself, if you dont want the thumb give her a paci, she NEEDS to suck, all babies need it, some more than others. don't worry about it until her teeth start the fall out, of course you can wean before then, but it isn't a problem until then (medically)

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2009