Any advice on making bedtime not so HORRIBLE??

My daughter has a pretty good day-t0-day routine down. I try to keep her bedtime around 10pm. HOWEVER, she refuses to go to bed! It starts at 9:30 when I turn all the lights, except her tv, off. I heat her a bottle of milk; she absolutely HAS to have a WARM BOTTLE of MILK, nothing else will do; and she gets her diaper changed, and into some clean jammies. By the time she says "Ny-Ny" to everyone, I lay her down, give her the bottle, and turn on a toy that makes music and lights up (its meant for bedtime). She drinks her entire bottle, without moving, and by the end of it, she's groggy, and her eyes are too heavy for her to keep open. But it never fails, I have to wrestle with her for hours to get her to sleep. Sometimes holding her down is the only way. She has a low bed, so she can easily get out of it. When I leave the room, she just goes to the door and cries all night. WHAT in the world can I do? I get tired 2!

LuvNBabyBri

Asked by LuvNBabyBri at 9:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try this. Give her a nice warm bath with lavender soap (called Johnson's bedtime bath or something similar), take her to bed, read her a story, sing a song or just talk to her for a few minutes and then tell her Mommy is very tired and I need to go night night. I would also try making bedtime a little earlier, maybe 8:30, it sounds like she is so tired by the time she gets to bed she's fighting sleep. Also, you don't mention how old she is. A warm bath and story always helped mine though. Good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree w/ Kustom that lavander soap/loation is what we use a lot of the time. Its such a nice smell & helps sooth my DD. I also agree w/ the thought that u may be putting ur child to bed too late. If I notice my DD is rubbing her eyes I make sure to quickly put her down at this point otherwise she'll get overtired & then start to fight going to bed. I usually put my 18 mo down at 8pm but if start to see signs of being tired before then I do not hesitate to get things going! Good Luck... oh & ur not the only one gonig w/o sleep my DD still wakes up anywhere from 3-6 times a night making me go into her room to sooth her back to sleep! Very annoying but I dont know what to do its not night terrors I just think shes a light sleeper or something but I'm in the same boat of being very tired each & every single day!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Sounds like you might have too complicated of a night time routine. Having a routine is good but have fewer steps. I agree with reading a book, claming her down, etc. Just know any of these suggestions aren't ONE DAY FIXES! It might take 2-3 nights or even 2 weeks for the new routine to set in but you have to be persistant and stick to your guns.

GOOD LUCK!
    EBeauty03

Answer by EBeauty03 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i started something new with my son.. :D i'm so excited lol.. first he takes a warm bath, then i read to him a couple books.. then i say kkay.. lets head upstairs.. and he goes and lays on our bed.. then i lay their with him.. and after about 5 min i say "alright baby mommy's gonna go check on daddy, make sure he's ok downstairs ok.. i'll be right back.. " i leave close the door and by the time SO and i come to bed he's sound a asleep !

it works for me..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• how old is she? 10pm is to late she should be in bed by no later than 8pm she may be over tired
    get into a routine then stick to it bath, story bed. get some energy out before bed by going to the park or playing outside or inside play area, allow her to cry a little. never hold her down if she gets out of bed simply put her back (saying nothing to her) keep doing that she get the point.
    thats what i did with my 10,6, &2 yr old. now they all go to bed no issues.
    my newborn is the only exception to that rule:)
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 3:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009