Cats and Babies

My mom is super paranoid about our cat being around a newborn baby (when I deliver).
You know you hear the stories about babies and cats, but why have I never actually known someone to have their baby hurt a cat.
What are your thoughts?
I am not concerned about my cat, I think he'll do fine.

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 2 cats and they mostly ignored the baby. There is some old wives tale about babies being suffocated by cats or taking their breath or whatever. There's no reason to worry as long as the cat doesn't sleep in the crib with your baby!! I kept her door shut for a while, and now one of the cats sleeps in her room on a chair. They are both pretty good around her, too. (One still ignores her!)
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had two cats when my son was a newborn and one would jump into his crib and sleep with him (of course with out me knowing) She just liked sleeping in his crib with or with out him in it she was a very friendly cat. I hated it! but my other cat didnt even notice him.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 9:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm 51, my kids are all grown, I had cats with each one of my children. Other then sniffing at their feet when they were newborn, they never botheredd them. I actually asked my doctor when I was pregnate with my oldest son if this was true, he smiled and said "not to his knowledge". They may try to get into bassinet or crib for the warmth, mine never did. I also heard that it's the "sent" of milk that attracts the cat, that also never happened, but I also cleaned babies mouth area aftr feeding. If you don't feel comfortable with cat and newborn get rid of cat, or ban cat from room where baby will be sleeping. That's what I did cause I wasn't really sure, first time mom, and all that. The cat will be courious, that's the way of cats, so when you bring baby home let cat sniif his/her feet and whenever you hold baby. I never let cats up by their faces tho.
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have a cat and he could have cared less about the baby. He sniffed him a bit, but was more scared then curious. I have a dog too. She was actually more curious than scared.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had 3 when I delivered. We are down to 2 now. I have one that will get into the crib when she gets up and the other will get in the crib while we are playing somewhere. We keep her door shut or they would both try to sleep with her but they wake her when they jump in or out of the crib. My LO will pet one of our cats nicely and will pat the other a little harder then she should. She is almost one and is learning. Both of our cats have been around children and babies before so we didn't even think twice about it. Our 2 we got when our niece lived with us and she was 6 months old. So they have been tortured before by little hands. Hang in there the baby and the furry babies will be fine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my cats ignore her, but one does like her crib. If she is asleep in there I close the door.
    My mom has a crazy cat,it's always bouncing off walls and being silly. Aside from giving her dirty looks, she ignores my daughter lol.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have cats and have never had a problem. Just don't let kitty sleep with baby.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my cat is my dd's best friend, lol if tanis is sleeping on the floor on her play mat Tweak (my cat) will go sleep right next to her, but not on her just next to her, he lets her pet him and she has pulled on his fur kinda hard to where he couldnt get away, and he just sat down. didnt hiss or run or scratch, but he also knows if tanis is sleeping at night or in a bassinet or crib not to go in there. but hes just a big baby, hes SUPER friendly. to everyone. anytime i go outside he meows at me through the window till i come back in then wont leave me alone lol
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 12:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Don't worry about it. The cat will prob. b afraid of the baby. I did catch my cat a couple of times sleeping at the end of the bassenet when I kept it near my bed.
    P.S. The cat won't "steal it's breath" lol.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 10:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My cat hates my baby! She avoids her like the plague! I'm pretty sure she resents the baby for "taking her place".
    To try and get the cat used to the baby I sometimes let the baby pet her. But, since my daughter is at the stage of grabbing everything she will sometimes grab her tail. Fortunately, the cat seems to know that she is not allowed to hurt the baby. The cat will meow, and try and run away, but has never scratched the baby. She just waits till I pry the baby's fingers off her fur and then she runs!
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 7:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009