how do you teach a 1 year old

what all can u teach a one year old ..what are they capable of learning

MiasMommy6908

Asked by MiasMommy6908 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh my! One is a WONDERFUL age to be. You can start teaching colors, (Look at the pretty red flower), numbers, (I have 3 fingers in the air, one two three), and shapes (look at that square) and you can start singing the ABC song. They can also start learning to pick up after themselves, with your help and direction of course, they best way to teach them is by getting down on their level, it won't hurt you to sit in the floor and play, and playing is the best way for them to learn.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They r capable to learn all kinds of things. My DD at 10 mo started to love reading, she crawled over to her reading cornor & has been there since! Reading has taught my DD all kinds of words & she reconizes all kinds of things (18 mo now). I think that if u simply just read & repeat the same things over & over & over again this helps out a lot. I also do flashcards now & play the body game (where is ur head/hair/eyes/etc). She also loves to play when I say "where is there a tree, I dont see one do u" I do this all the time to help distract her from something I dont want her being in! I kept all her toys in the same places so she could learn where everything goes & at an early age was able to help clean up or go get something when I asked for it. Also the more u go out w/ ur child the better! U can go to the library, park, walks, etc. This opens up their wolds a lot & allows them to learn all kinds of new things!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• From the time that my baby was born (she is 3 now) I read to her, and did alot of the texture things...like feel the lamb, feel the doggy...the feel books. I always talk to her about everything..."Mommy is going to drink some milk, Mommy likes Milk" "Mommy has to do the dishes, Mommy doesn't like to do the dishes, but they have to get done" I mean everything. She has become my best friend, at only 3 she understands me and all my different emotions. She is sympathetic when I'm having a bad day, she is always quick to cheer me up. But anyways back to the question. I would just talk to him/her about EVERYTHING. Take a walk, and point to things and just talk about them! read, read, read! And play together as much as possible. GL!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Along with all that.... talk to them like real adults. They understand so much. Find a low shelf in the kitchen to put plates, bowls, cups and utensils for them. They will start to empower themselves. At 16 months, ours understood what we were saying so well.

One loved books and the other loved stacking. We incorporated the colors and numbers in anything they loved to look at. "Do you see those brown doggies over there? There are three. One. Two. three."

Describe everything. It's all about repetition. Eventually it just clicks with them because you worked on it with them.

And work on motor skills. Sommersaults. Taking walks. climbing ladders. All supervised of course. working with tongs to pick up marshmallows helps with fine motor skills. Introduce a spoon and fork. It's messy but well worth it! Teach tooth brushing. Give them a brush to hold.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/toddler-play-activities
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I talk to my one year old all day and tell her what i'm doing and what everything is. She knows what her blanket is and will go in her room and get it if i tell her to. She knows what dog, ball, fish, mommy, daddy, and bob are and can say them all. It only takes a few times of telling her what something is for her to remember. She learned fish in like an hour at my friends house. She would walk over and we would tell her fish. We went to another friends house and she had a coy pond and she told us all fish. I didn't think she would know all of them are fish, I thought she would just say that at an aquarium of fish. The smaller the easier they learn.
    mistynkennedy

Answer by mistynkennedy at 11:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2009