TMI--ingrown hairs...there. Help please.

I can't stand hair in my pubic area so I have always shaved for years. I'm pregnant and hair all over grows at a crazy rate. I noticed a small ingrown hair about 2 weeks ago and thought I cleaned it out, cleansed it with alcohol and used neosporin. Thought that took care of it. Nope. It's back and worse. I went for my checkup and told the dr about it. She wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic but I'm starting to get nervous and wondering what do I do if the meds don't work.

Have any of you other women had this problem?

I don't see any hair caught in there like I had before. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it may not be a hair at all. I had this issue with last pregnancy and its due to the hormal changes and its like a boil, ugh gross I know but there it is. Leave it alone, let the meds work. If you pop it, clean it mess with it, whatever it will make it 10 times worse and plus painful. Also if you mess with it yourself and get it infected..omg so painfula nd really gross. if the meds do not work in a few days go back and let ob handle it. And they see it all the time. My ob said almost every preg lady has them at some piont and he doesnt get bothered at all as its so frequent an issue.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Are you serious? I have never had that before? Is that from all the blood flow? I'm not normally one to bother my OB over every little thing, some stuff can't be helped and you let it ride. But this is painful. I'm still using the neosporin with the antibiotics...I had never thought of a boil. Ugghhh geez.
    Anonymous

• I always thought that I got those so I'd pluck them with a tweezer and they'd go away. I guess maybe I didn't have them because that sounds more serious. :/
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had a similar problem (not ingrown hair) and was told to soak 2x (morn/nite) warm water for about 10min in tub. I did this for about 4days (after 2nd day noticed it wasnt as painful or swollen). Havent had any problem since. My ob said some women are more prone to have this problem and usually clears up in a couple weeks....gl.
    Anonymous

• id soak use as hot as u can stand water and salt compress...epsom salt is the best but table salt will work just fine this will draw out the infection in a day or two and then u should be all right...i do this all the time when a someone in my family a infection b/c of a cut or in growen hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2009