How do I "wind" my 2-year old down before bed?

I have tried EVERYTHING! My 2-year old is SO SUPER hyper at night time. I've tried letting him run it out, I've tried tickle feasts, I've tried fresh air, I've tried calming TV show, I've tried quiet book time...NOTHING works so it takes him up to TWO HOURS to fall asleep sometimes! If I put him to bed later he just wakes up earlier in the morning! I'm going CRAZY!!!

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would make sure that you cut out sugar at dinner time that includes fruit and juices. I would then find a routine that works for both you and your son after dinner. Stick with the routine b/c eventually he will learn that when these things happen bed time is coming. My 11mo knows that after bath we do lotion and then we turn the lights low and play a few calming games and then at 755 on the dot every night she lets us know that it is bed time. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would get some of that calming lavender bath bubbles, follow with the bedtime lotion massage...My DD is 3 and I still give her a massage every night...she actually demands it. THAT LITTLE DIVA. But it actually has always worked to soothe her and calm her down for bedtime. She is also a super active child. GL!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Move his bedtime up at least an hour. At LEAST.
    Your son is getting overtired. Once he reaches that point, his body releases adrenaline - the same hormone your body releases when you are in a car wreck. Don't wait for him to rub his eyes. Don't wait for him to yawn. You are looking for that very brief "quiet moment" when it seems that someone has hit his pause button.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He isn't going to bed overly tired. His bedtime is only 3 hours after his 3-4 hour nap. Moving his bedtime up anymore would mean he would never see his dad because he would be going to bed before he got home from work.
    EBeauty03

Answer by EBeauty03 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• ah ha! The nap time sounds like the key! Can you move his nap earlier in the day and limit it to only 3 hours and then put him to bed at his normal time? After a few days, this should help.

what time does he wake up in the morning, nap and go to bed? That may help us give you some better advice, as well!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I use the J&J bed time bath and lotion THAT IS SOME AWESOME STUFF! It really works and smells good too. My dd is 2.5 and we still use it on her. Come up with a routine where you can give a bath every night at the same time..(somethng like 45mins before bed.) that way when they get out its closer to BEDTIME then giving a chnace to run around after bath. after bath read a book or somethng.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He has been waking up between 6 & 7 am. Nap time is ususally between 12:30 and 1:00, he sometimes only naps until 3 but sometimes naps until 430. Then bedtime routine starts around 6:45, bathtime, etc. and book and bed at 7:30.
    EBeauty03

Answer by EBeauty03 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• playground , play in yard, or inside play area 1 1/2 hour before bed.
    (after lunch)only give him ONE nap & don't let him sleep more than 2 hours.
    allow him to go to bed at 8pm instead of 7:30pm.
    I have 10yr, 6 yr, 2yr, & 2 week old. they all wake-up around 6am. The 2 yr old naps 1pm-3pm.
    The 10, 6 yrold & the 2yrold go to bed 8pm ( 9pm on friday) ( 11pm bed time on fri for the 10yrold).
    I am still trying to work with the newborn. All (except the newborn) fall asleep right away-
    we have a "normal" bath, story bedtime routine. ( they sleep with their radio on)
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Hmmmm.....we have a routine for my 2 year old son. He gets a bath every other night, but my son's bedtime is at 9:00pm. At around 8:00 we turn off all of the lights in the house, make sure his pj's are on, let him have his "pee" (his word for blanket) & his "Fowie" (his pacifier, he still sleeps with it). We turn on either My Friends Tigger & Pooh, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or Handy Manny. After 2 episodes, we tell him it's time for prayers, which he calls Amens. He has to either sit on the couch or sit with Daddy in the easy chair. It works every time. When he was younger, we used the Bed Time Bath & Lotion & boy did we love it.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh & I forgot to add....I do have a VERY active little boy. I think if you stick to a schedule, you should be ok. Also, try seeing if he'll take his nap at around 10:30 maybe, or maybe you're putting him to bed too early at night.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009