Do you think gay and lesbian partners of federal employees should receive health care and other benefits? Obama does.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama plans to extend health care and other benefits to the gay and lesbian partners of federal employees. White House officials say Obama plans to announce decision on Wednesday in the Oval Office. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the president had not yet made the announcement.
The move would give partners of federal employees access to health care and financial benefits such as relocation fees for moves. Officials say Obama would detail more details of the decision on Wednesday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they should be entitled to everything that straight couples are, including marriage.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I think we need to get the gay marriage issue taken care of first. I am not in favor of any "partner" getting coverage (gay or otherwise) simply because it would be too hard to monitor. Since the health benefits, etc... come from the Federal budget if we open it to partners there is too much room for abuse. I think they need to tackle the gay marriage issue first. BTW-I am in favor of some type of "gay marriage" be it a civil union, domestic partner, whatever... I just do not like the idea of partner without any clarification. I know of people who have a different partner every 6 months (gay and hetero) can you imagine paying benefits in that situation? I realize some marriage don't last long, but at least its a start in reining in spending.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Good.

.........but does that mean that I can get my SO's benefits without us being married too? I mean, we've been together for four years, we're just not ready to get married yet. I mean, it's great if they're going to do that for gay people, but they should include all SO's if that is the case.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh, only of federal employees....damn....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• well since marriage for them is in many states is still not legal but they would still be able to receive healthcare and other benefits via their partners; then the same thing goes for those who share common law marriages. There are straight couples out there who have been together for many years however they can't get benefits like healthcare via their common law spouse. It's not fair. If the new laws give gay couples that benefit than everyone should enjoy the same benefits and that includes couples who aren't married on paper.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• alguinn- would you and your SO consider a civil union or domestic partner situation... is it the word marriage that holds you back? Not judging-just asking ;) Also, do you think you should be entitled to benefits? Since I have been married FOREVER, just trying to gain perspective from someone who picked a different path. BTW- 4 years together is a great achievement- married or not!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yup! without a doubt..
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 10:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If the new laws give gay couples that benefit than everyone should enjoy the same benefits and that includes couples who aren't married on paper.

That WOULD be the case except YOU have the option of marriage, they do not

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• whats the difference between civil union and marriage? please no insults I though it was the same.
    Anonymous

• Yes, definitely!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009