How do i know when to stop breast-feeding? How will i know what to do when they cry? If its a need for diaper change or feeding?

breast feeding determine the cry

GoldieLocks18

Asked by GoldieLocks18 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At first you probably won't know so you'll just try the obvious ones first (diaper change, nursing, burping, ect.) After a while the cry will change and you will be able to determine what's wrong.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• check out some Dr. Sears books They have a great pregnancy book as well as Baby book.... You'll know, follow your babies cues
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I believe breast feeding will be a personal choice for you, but it is recommended by the AAP to Exclusively breastfeed for approximately the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child. I included the link for more info below.
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm

Concerning your babies cries, I was very apprehensive about this also, and a first you can't tell. Just go through the steps: feed, burp, change, then I try to rock the baby in case he is sleepy. After the first month you will start to identify which cry is which. You really will "just know". I am only 3 1/2 months in with my first and I now know all of his cries. It just takes time and a ton of patience! I'm sure you will do great!
    Tiffany
    aka Sam's Mama
    Pieceofmysoul

Answer by Pieceofmysoul at 7:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

Tiffany
    aka Sam's Mama
    Pieceofmysoul

• If you want to stop BF, wean the child onto a bottle (or a sippy cup depending on her age). Just trade one BF "meal" for a bottle... then add another... and another... eventually they won't be BF anymore.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Thank you everyone !!! I cant wait only several more months to go...haha since i don't exactly know how far along i am as of yet.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• They let go when they are done. If the baby is tiny, it's usually after they fall asleep. WHen my son was small, I would change him when he was wet and give him a boob when he cried. Worked well.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I just recently stopped breastfeeding, my baby is 6 months old. I would have liked to try for longer, but she started biting, and it's become difficult for both of us. Luckily, she's one of those babies that is happy with either breast or bottle. With the cries, you eventually can differentiate between them. Just takes a little time.
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• you'll suprise yourself. Every mom does. I think every mom is worried if she'll be a "good enough" mom for her baby, or if she'll make mistakes. We all worry if we'll forget to change a diaper, or forget to feed the baby...but you won't...and you'll be fine.

It's scary, thinking that your whole life is going to change, and that you have NO IDEA what to expect. But if you surround yourself around the right support people, you'll be fine.

I'd LOVE for you to check out La Leche League. It's a GREAT group of women who support and encourage breastfeeding, and there are all kinds of mom's there. Some experienced, some who just found out they are pg for the first time, and everyone in between. The meetings are usually once a month, and they are free. You can ask all these questions here, and more, and NO ONE will judge you.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info on how to find a LLL in your area.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2008