Feeling guilty over TV time

My DD is 14m and we've had the routine for a bit where she'll get her morning milk and watch cartoons in my arms while I get an extra hour of rest. Well, she started waking up an hour earlier and my body just can't handle it. I feel wrecked when I'm woken so early. So now she's watching two hours of TV plus later in the day, I usually reach a point (becaus she's going through and "assertive" phase and I'm still tired) where I need a break and the tv goes on. I recently read something that said as long as you're ok with the how much TV your baby is watching, its OK. Well, I'm not ok with how much she's watching but I don't know what else to do. This isn't a "just deal with it" situation- even when I try to muster some energy in the morning- I am really short fused and feel even worse than when I just let her watch tv. We do many other activities, but she's really bright and I need help finding a better solution than tv for us.

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 10:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe put her in a playpin with some toys that make noise so she can stay busy while you take a nap
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had the same issue... then I started taking Vitamin B-Stress Complex and I feel MUCH better. I feel like I have the energy I need in the morning. Perhaps that's worth a try? If you want to know what brand I take you can PM me and I can go take a look for you.
    lovepink26

Answer by lovepink26 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Have you tried going to bed a little earlier? That may help. Also yoga or exercise in the morning does wonders for your energy level, drinking lots of water works well to, I read an article saying a big reason for low energy is lack of exercise and water, I began exercising and keeping hydrated and it really boosted my energy.Try eating small healthy snacks through out the day too because sugar level plunges can really make you sleepy. If that doesn't help try taking a nap when your daughter naps. Good luck and I hope this helped.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I had the same issue.... she was our first and took to tv like white on rice at 6 months. Baby Einstein Baby! I felt horrible. At about age 2.25 I finally felt like I was able to get a handle on things and we started cutting back. Now at age 4.75, she gets 20 minutes in the morning during her asthma treatment and 20 min at night during her second treatment.

Try and figure out why you're so tired. Are you sleeping when she sleeps? Are you doing errands at night when she first goes to bed? Do you think it's something medical? Go to the dr and get everything checked out. I found that I could get to sleep but i couldn't stay asleep and learned a lot about that. I started breathing exercises too.

Soon you'll start feeling normal and ready to engage during those moments. I wish you the best of luck and you're an awesome mom.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Had to add that just recognizing the issue is amazing. Give yourself some credit, some parents wouldn't think twice about how much tv their kids watch.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree, I'd try to go to bed earlier and get more rest in general. I can definitely sympathize... We're dealing with some really early mornings (second daughter is now up at 6 or slightly earlier every day), but we're really trying to stick to our guns and not do any tv first thing... I would keep in mind the amount that you're okay with (like the one hour a day), and push through the rough moments. Don't beat yourself if you're more short-fused when you're tired. But try to get more rest, try to reset your mentality about how early is too early to be up in the morning (lol easier said than done), take a nap during her nap if you can. Like pp said, good job recognizing the problem before it's too late to change... I have a friend who little by little got into several hours of tv in the morning with her kids, and they didn't give it up until they were in school in the morning. Her warnings about it helped me stay strong!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions about getting more rest- I actually didn't think that was what people would take away from the post! :) We do try to go to be eariler...I just didn't mention that she's also been staying up later despite having a consistant bedtime routine. I work out everyday (actually maybe a little too much but I own a mom's group so for now I'm obligated to participate in most activities and they're on a workout kick). Tired-wise I know its because she's waking up an hour early. My body got used to that extra hour and just like when she was a newborn, there were just certain times that my body physically rebelled at being woken over. I'm really interested in what I could have her do in lieu of tv when I need a time out. I've committed myself to just getting up with her after that first hour of tv, but there's still that point later in the day where I need a break and I don't know of a solid distraction...?
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Her watching tv is better than you losing it with her. This is coming from a no tv house! We just got rid of ours. We had multiple reasons for getting rid of it, but it wasn't that I view tv as dangerous. I have looked at the research on tv time before age 2, and the results are underwhelming. Yes, there are better things your child can be doing. However, the study doesn't account for worse things, in my opinion. TV can be a tool if you need a break or something. Everyone else has good suggestions about getting yourself more energy. For me, I find exercise if really helping, as counter intuitive as that seems.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Why don't you just put up a baby gate and put on some fun low music and let your daughter play. My son will be 14 months on the 25th and he keeps himself occupied sometimes while I cook or clean. I would just make sure everything is baby proofed and put some toys down for her and let her play. A 14 month old is capable of entertaining herself for a little while if you feel like you really need a little extra sleep. Your child doesn't need to be held every second, give her a safe environment and let her explore, you can lie on the couch or put a blanket down on the floor and take a nap while she plays right next to you. She's 14 months and mobile and it's much better for her development to be playing instead of watching T.V.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh yeah and try letting your little one play with some empty plastic containers, like bowls, cups or Tupperware. My son has a million toys but he gets board with them pretty fast, however he loves playing with containers. Babies at this age love to fill, empty, stack and just experiment with different sized containers. My son can be entertained by containers for quite a while and since your daughter is the same age she would probably enjoy them too. Good luck and I hope this helped a little.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2009