Do I tell my sister that I discovered my niece is cutting school, drinking, and using drugs while reading her twitter entries?

I have been following my niece around on the internet and it has been an eye opener. From discovering how she feels about school to who she talks to on the internet, it has given me a feeling of hands tied behind my back.

rubyemma775

Asked by rubyemma775 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes absolutely! If she is into drugs and is drinking, your sister definitely needs to know about it so she can handle the situation before it gets out of control or something horrible happens.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Without even thinking once. She is a child, you are an adult. She is doing things that need to be stopped and controlled now before she getts too hard to handle or does something that you will regret forever.

If she were a young adult, ages 19 or so, I might answer differently.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Nevermind about the age thing, if they are doing drugs, I would tell the parents no matter what age they were.
    mom2twobabes

• i think you should tell your neice that you know. that gives you leverage, she needs to straighten herself out. trust me, i screwed my life up that way. i did drugs and drank and failed a grade in skool, ended up pregnant at 15 dropping out of skool (getting my ged and goin to college, but thats beyond the point) and it was hard. if she stops maybe talk to her mom about it. it is tough, but she needs someone hu undersatnds right now. and seeing as u know wuts goin on itd be good for u to confront her.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Wouldn't you want to know if it was your child?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You need to confront your neice and give her the choice to tell her parents first, she needs to stop these behaviors that hopefully her parents do not approve of. she is heading down a very dangerous road, and unfortunatly you are now "guilty by association" if she knows that you know these things she will think that you approve.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 10:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Why are you even questioning telling her. Your niece is a minor. If it gets worse and you didn't tell, you would be partially at fault for not notifying her mom, maybe not legally, but morally.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have done the same. I saw my nephew’s myspace page and read his comments. I think it is a good thing to bring things to the surface with his parents. As I recently told one of my nieces, the only reason why someone would comment on her life (or meddle) is because we care. If no one cared, no one would say a thing.
    sitbackandrelax

Answer by sitbackandrelax at 12:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yes. She's doing things that are very dangerous and could ruin her life. If it were my daughter I'd want to know.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yes. Tell her today. She needs to know what her child is up to.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009