What would you do if your ex-husband left your 10yr old home alone all day with no phone

Today my son was left by his father at his dad's apt with no phone. After several phone calls, his dad finally answers to let me know he was at his apt alone. I called and them do a welfare check on my son. . . he was there. He opened the door and the policeman lectured him about opening the door and left. Left him there and went to his dad's work and lectured him and told him to go home immediately. I was at work and called the PD to let them know that I was gonna stop by to get a copy of the report and even tho I did get the report....First I was asked report for what and then was told there was no report and then I was threatened for DCS to be called on both us and investigated. I told him that would be fine He said he called DCS and they told him that there is no specific age that it was based on maturity. How mature can a 10yr old be? The sheriff's dept says 13 is the legal age.

Lena1070

Asked by Lena1070 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• that wouldn't count as child neglect?!?

rose549

Answer by rose549 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You would think so....But apparently not around here. I had to ask 4 times for a report and he was really ugly about it. I think he knew he had done wrong.
    Lena1070

Answer by Lena1070 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• you mean before or after I beat the crap out of him? (the EX I mean!!)
    Anonymous

• There is no legal age, there are recommended ages. In Wisconsin the recommended age is 12 but younger ones can be left home and there are some older ones that shouldn't be left alone. It depends on how they handle an emergency situation. At 10, my son was fine alone for short periods of time. Seeing your ex left your child without a phone, that could be considered a neglectful situation. Also, seeing your son opened the door for someone that said he was police, he may not be ready yet. It may or may not be counted as neglect but I am thinking it would just be considered a stupid mistake on the father's part.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• First of all I would be very angry just by him leaving my 10 year old home by herself. Without a phone yes I would be angry. I do not feel a 10 year old should be left by themself. I would go in front of the judge and report this. Either he provides a babysitter for the child or he does not get visitation.
    Dmajsmommy9396

Answer by Dmajsmommy9396 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Where I live it is against the law to leave a child 12 or under unattended. A girl I used to work with got jail time and CPS took her children for several days because she left the 10 year old, 4 year old and three month old in the car when she paid for gas. I'm now thankful this is our law here. I just assumed that was law everywhere. What would I do? I'd be heading straight to court! There is no way that should not be considered child endangerment. There are so many things that could go wrong that a 10 year old would not know how to handle. Including a cop coming to the door. Could've been a child molester in a uniform bought at buycostumes.com You need to talk to your son and show him examples of things that have happened to other kids left alone. Don't scare him but educate him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• WHY does your ex not have a landline (regular) phone in the house?! Why does he only have a cell phone?! A basic landline phone with "no frills" is like $15/month (probably less).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't know my mom left me home alone at 10 to watch my younger brothers 8 and 6 at the time. Granted we had a phone, but this was before cell phones, so if something happened in the backyard (we had 5 acres) we still weren't going to get to a phone quickly. My mom just always alerted our neighbors she'd be gone for a few minutes so I felt like I was given some responsibility but we were still technically being watched from next door. Did the father maybe alert any neighbors? And how responsible is your son? I mean I'm 22 now and if a police man came to my door I'd open it too, so I don't think thats really the boy's fault. I was taught to open doors for policemen .
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He just moved into apt. 3 weeks ago.  Not in a very good neighborhood at all.   If he were running to the store I wouldn't be upset.  But we're talking all day.  And he didn't go ck on him at lunch...he sent a friend to drop him lunch off.   At his previous residence he was allowed to roam as he wished.  We have been to the emergency room x2 to get stitches where he had gone to a creek and the first time he went to a store and told the owner what happened and she took him to his father who didn't call me til after the fact.   I have appt with a lawyer next wednesday.  I'm fed up and it's no mistake on the father's part.   It's stupidity on his father's part.   If he were as interested in his child as he is his self there wouldn't be any issues.

Lena1070

Answer by Lena1070 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009