Is this related to a tick?

We took my almost 2 year old pit bull on a walk the other day and when we got home, we found a tick on him and my husband got it off and killed it. Now, my pit has been limping when he walks and doesn't want to stand up (will lay down to eat and drink). I know ticks can carry Lyme disease. Do you think this could be related to the tick or do you think he could have just pulled a muscle maybe? Or anything else? We can't afford to take him to the vet.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 10:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pets

• If you cant afford vet care you should contact your local no-kill shelter or humane society to take the dog in. Dogs need health care just as much if not more than humans do. I know it might be heart breaking but it isnt fair to the dog. Vets also do payment plans so if you really want to keep the dog you could work something out with them. Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• you need to call around and find a vet that will take payments, call a shelter to ask if they know of anyplace that offers assistance(google that also0, or worst case scenerio surrender your dog. If your dog is in pain it is cruel to let him suffer. If it is something serious from the tick he could die a very agonizing death.You cannot self treat your dog hon, soryy but no. as pp said i hope you make the right choice and good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh my dog does get his shots and his heart worm pills. There is this place where I live called the CSRA Lifesaver where they do shots for $5 and a year supply of heart warm pills for $20 for low income families. And they neuter and spade for $45. All the shelters here put dogs down, so that's their mission is to provide homes for the dogs. There are plenty of good families out there that just can't afford a pet, but the CSRA Lifesaver provides them an opportunity to. They just don't specialize in stuff like when your dog is sick or hurt. But, I will call around and find a vet that will do a payment plan, b/c we can do that.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• How long of a walk did you guys take? Do you usually go on walks?

If he's not used to it then he could have sore legs but it shouldn't last more than a day or two. We're actually taking our pit bull into the vet soon because we think she's got arthritis. She seems to have a difficult time on her back legs. I wonder if this is common for pits? She's only 6 years old though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009