Beer and Breastfeeding

I have heard from more than one person that drinking 1/2-1 beer will increase your milk supply. I am EBF my 2 month old and was wondering if anyone else has heard this or if it's even true? And if it's not, how much harm will it do, if any? I am afraid to drink until I get some answers! Thanks gals!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My doc told me that alcohol decreases your milk supply. If you want to increase it, you need to be looking at like eating lots of oatmeal or there is some kind of tea that helps too, that you get at healthfood stores. I can't remember what it is tho. Here and here good resources on increasing your supply and alcohol.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I breast fed my son exclusively (still am nursing he is 11 months) and would have an occasional beer. It never seemed to bother my son. I head that it helps with milk supply also.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The yeast in the beer can help increase your milk supply. If you drink it at least 2 hours before you nurse again, the amount that pases to your baby should me minimal.
    Oatmeal can also increase your supply, as well as the herb fenugreek.

I am still nursing my toddler, and i take fenugreek daily to help keep my supply up.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I've never heard of that and it sounds phony to me. There are better ways to increase your milk supply, I'd try all of those first.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Dark beer (I like my beer dark any ways). Worked for me. Mind, I didn't drink a lot or often.

Oatmeal worked too.
    Anonymous