i forgot to ask

would it be ok to give my 3month old a cold bottle. i just fixed him a bottle and he fell asleep instead of ate and i stuck it in the fridge but i was just thinkin about when he wakes up at 3 if it would be ok to give him the bottle straight from the fridge. sorry if its a dumb question but bein a new mom i don't know jack when it comes to bottle feedings

Tysmommy09

Asked by Tysmommy09 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he's ok with it.. then its ok. There's no rule that says you have to warm up a baby's bottle.. most of them just prefer it that way. My daughter was drinking it cold from 2 mos.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It is okay to give it to him but whether he will take it or not is the real question. If he is use to warm milk then he may not like cold milk. Every baby is different though.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• In my experience, most babies like a warm bottle. They're designed to like warm food, the usual way to feed babies (breastfeeding) means the baby gets his milk at body temperature. But I have known an occaisonal baby who would take a cold bottle, and if it makes your life easier, then why not? :)

I have heard of babies getting colicky or gassy from a cold bottle, though, so if that happens just go back to warm bottles :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My DD prefered her milk cold when she hit about 3 months or atleast room temp if it was warm she wouldn't drink it. So it'll be fine if he will drink it
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• too lazy to warm up the bottle? no problem. you can also buy the kind of bottles that let them feed themselves, so you really won't have to be bothered. while your at it, don't you think it's about time they learned how to change their own diapers? i mean, really. by 3 months they should be taking care of themselves. i wonder...maybe formula only tastes mostly nasty cold, instead of completely nasty when warmed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Anon- 12:48 Wow! Who pissed in your cheerios?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You can try it. Some babies like it better cold. Many like it room temp. And many will only drink it warm. Some babies with sensitive tummies do get a tummy ache from a cold bottle, as a PP said. Personally, I would warm it, at least to room temp. A cold bottle is likely to wake your son right up, not what you want at 3 am.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009