What "end of the world" predictions have come and gone in your lifetime?

My mom said that when she was a kid, really religious people would pull their kids out of school on certain days to await the "end of the world" and the "second coming of Jesus." Of course, they would be in school the next day.

I've only lived through Y2K, as far as I know. Apparently people thought it would all end in 1984 because of the George Orwell book?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Y2K
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Y2K and I'm preparing for 2012 as we speak LOL just kidding.
    Anonymous

• ...All these are the beginning of birth pains.'" Matthew 24:4-8
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The world has been ending about once every decade, since I have been alive. Going on my third "end of times." It is this attitude that we don't need to take care of this planet that will be the end of us. Self fulfilling prophecy.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 12:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Um, let's see, there was rash hashannah 1996, y2k, two that I know of in the eighties and actuallt several in the new millenium. You can google end of times prophecies and see em all. It's all in good fun.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• This is Anon ;57. 2012 actually derives from the mayans. The mayan calendar just ends and starts over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Y2K, 1996, and now 2012 lol. Nope, I don't think 2012 is it either! But who knows...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• There were 6 or 7 of them in the 70's. The one I remember most was the Armageddon of 75, pamphlets and Watchtowers all over the neighborhood on that one. There was one that kept changing dates, right around when Reagan took office, and when it didn't happen they'd say, "oh we miscalculated" and make a new date. The Harmonic Convergence, sometime when I was in high school, 87 maybe? The Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate, that Korean church that was sure it was all going to end - I think they indicted the leader of that one. Tons of them for Y2K, and for a few years before because of all the people sure the rapture would come before the year changed. There was another one a few years ago one of my psycho co-workers kept going on about May 2008. I made a point to give her a big hello on June 1.
    That's not counting all the times people have been convinced a Nostradamus prophecy was happening, like 9/11.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Y2K myself, been in church all my life never heard of any of the above.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think I'm only old enough to have gone through year 2000. I just drank and listened to Prince all night.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2009