is gossip a sin

or talking behind someones back without them around a sin.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Even if it's not, it's still not very nice. I try really hard never to say anythign behind someone's back that I wouldn't say to their face. That's probably a good rule of thumb.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well, one could look at it as bearing false witness ( breaking the 9th comandment Ex 20:16) as you don't know if you are speaking truth about someone or not. And gossip has a way of turning into half-truths and lies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No, just silly and at times offensive and even libellous.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't know if it's a sin or not as I'm not religious, but IT IS VERY TACKY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Psalm 15 1-5 Lord who shall abide in thy tabernacle? Who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. He that backbiteh not with his tonge, nor doeth evil to his neighbor, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbor. In whose eyes a vile person in despised, but he honoreth them that fear the Lord.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have a rule to live by... I don't believe in sin but I do believe that all things come back to you, so this still isn't usually a good thing. So, my rule is this, never speak a word against someone you aren't willing to say to their face...

Let me just tell you that I have always stuck to that rule, it doesn't usually win me friends, but I stick to it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Here's a few verses on gossiping. Yes gossiping is a sin.

Prov. 20:19 He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets,Therefore do not associate with a gossip.

Romans 1:29 Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip.

Proverbs 17:4 Wrongdoers eagerly listen to gossip;liars pay close attention to slander.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• the verses that ptomom678 gave a great verses to go by
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• amen bonn777
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Absolutely! The Bible addresses backbiting, and that's another word for gossip. It's divisive. It's hard not to do, because we are human. Regardless of the difficulty in abstaining from it, it's still a sin.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009